Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it better to be waitlisted or have "no determination" at this point?

karbl92karbl92 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
It seems like a lot of people hv been accepted, and quite a few have been waitlisted. It seems like there's only a few people (on here) that haven't received their decisions yet.

Sooooooooooo what do y'all think is better at this point? Being on the WL or having that damn "no determination" message?
Post edited by karbl92 on

Replies to: Is it better to be waitlisted or have "no determination" at this point?

  • PVHSPVHS Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    It is a way for Cal Poly to hedge their bets....they have already offered to who they want...but they will keep us waitlisters on the back burner in case they might need us. I plan on moving on, Cal Poly has lost its appeal for me. Being waitlisted is just a dragged out way of saying you are rejected.
  • BayAreaCAMomBayAreaCAMom Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    no idea here....thought dd had a really good shot of getting in.....but with each day I think the picture looks more grim.......still hoping, but am thinking she will get a rejection next week. it does not seem as if there have been ANY acceptances here on CC for more than a week +, only waitlist....so rejections are probably next.....
  • WatermarkWatermark Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    BayAreaCAMom, I remember your dd's stat, I thought she had a very good shot but is really surprised that she is still waiting for the decision. It just make me wonder what's the CalPoly formula. I try to make sense from those stats since I still have a younger child.
  • akadavidsmomakadavidsmom Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    Ugh, my son still have the "no determination" thing too. I read last year's threads regarding this and there were still a bunch of people waiting in March and there were acceptances in mid-March and then towards the end of March there were rejections. I am torn about the waitlist. On one hand at least it's not a rejection, but on the other hand, you child is still in limbo and it seems a bit unsettled to me.
    I guess we just keep waiting....I'll be glad when the UC's start releasing their decisions...still waiting to hear from UCI and we still have a few weeks for UCSB and UCSD.
  • BayAreaCAMomBayAreaCAMom Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    well, that is very interesting that you saw acceptances and rejection late into March. I thought I remembered from last year that acceptances were for a few weeks in Feb. And, there was a thread resurrected here from last March, and it looked as if all the rejections came the first week of March. So, was expecting it all to wind up by first week of March. Who knows?? Our luck this will go on for a few more weeks. Older daughter waited until April 5 and April 17, 2 years ago, to hear from her top 2 schools, and the wait was MISERABLE! This daughter has A LOT of great acceptances, and is only waiting for Cal Poly, but it is her top choice, of course. Murphy's Law! think this daughter needs to see the writing on the wall and move on to her next choices.....
  • andyhb85andyhb85 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    I got rejected today for electrical engineering. 3.5 gpa transfer, but I'm missing a physics class and one other pre req :( . Hopefully Pomona will accept me.
  • Libertarian2020Libertarian2020 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    rejected today


    1590 sat
  • 012983012983 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Also got rejected for EE.

    GPA: 3.95
    SAT: 1370/2060
    ACT: 31

    Oh well. It would have been nice to attend, but...
  • akadavidsmomakadavidsmom Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    My son was rejected today for ME.

    GPA: 3.55
    ACT: 28

    ME dept at CPP emailed him today and said Congratulations and that they are recommending him for admission for the Fall 2010. It's not official, but definitely promising.

    Good luck to everyone else!
  • einnobeinnob Registered User Posts: 956 Member
    ^wait, so the Cal Poly's engineering school accepted your son, but not Cal Poly?
  • akadavidsmomakadavidsmom Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    ^ Cal Poly Pomona's ME dept recommended him for admission and apparently the Admission Office has to look over the recommendation, etc and then they are the ones to offer a formal admission offer. ME dept can just make the recommendation. I'm pretty sure he's in if they have recommended him though.
  • BayAreaCAMomBayAreaCAMom Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member

    School of Business

    3.8 Cal Poly calculated GPA
    1290/1990 SAT

    Bay area, Nor Cal
  • pinkvgirlpinkvgirl Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    officially rejected today im pretty relieved actually. Not that I didn't want to go here but i had come to accept that I wasnt in so having it officially told to me sort of lifts some weight off my shoulders :]
  • BayAreaCAMomBayAreaCAMom Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    so now that rejections are coming out, guess the answer to this thread, is that it IS better to be waitlisted than have "no determination" at this point....
    except that being waitlisted keeps you hanging on...........and least the "rejected" can move on :)

    good luck everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.