Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
LPCnativeLPCnative Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
edited February 2010 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
I got accepted for civil engineering at SLO, but I have a couple of questions:

1. If I wait until I hear from UCs---How will this affect housing?Will I not get any at all or just leftovers

2. Can I accept and fill out housing for Cal Poly, but back out if I choose a UC

3. If #2 is possible,How will I tell SLO I changed my mind? email, letter, call,etc

Post edited by LPCnative on

Replies to: UCs

• wootwootmanwootwootman Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    1. i think it depends on how late. prob just leftovers

2. you can, but you lose your deposit

3. i dont know

all this coming from a guy who was waitlisted
  • love4learninglove4learning Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I would go to SLO, my friend is a CE major at UCLA and is not happy.
  • SoonEmptyNesterSoonEmptyNester Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Actually, you don't lose your housing deposit if you cancel in writing before August 13.
    my mistake, you dont lose your deposit, just $23 i think. and housing is guaranteed to freshmen
  • LPCnativeLPCnative Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Since housing is guaranteed, I think I'll just wait. My top choice for dorms is North Mountain (Engineering live learning)----Does this get occupied quickly?
  • canindiancanindian Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    wootwootman: housing is NOT guaranteed...
  • momofmvmomofmv Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    From what i can tell these dorms are not that popular. A friend of mine lives there and he likes it. My son and I visited and we liked it too. The complaints are that it is not as easy to be social. That might work well for busy engineering majors.

My son has accepted to Cal Poly (Materials Engineering) and we have completed the housing forms. He is 90% sure that he will attend CP, but he still has UC's to hear from and could change his mind. I have heard that you can write a letter and Fax it and then you get almost all of the housing deposit back.
    The problem with this is that we are taking a possible spot for another student who really wants in. Only do this if you are almost certain to go to CP. Otherwise, I would wait and apply to housing as soon as you decide. I don't think housing is guaranteed at CP, but there is enough for Freshmen. You will get a spot and like I said, i don't think North Mountain is as popular as many of the others. Hope this helped!

I agree with the love4learning. Go to SLO for engineering. i have heard nothing but positive things about the school!
    canindindian: its not? i thought it was for freshmen...
This discussion has been closed.