Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Doesn't add up ...

1234568»

Replies to: Doesn't add up ...

• ralph4ralph4 Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    Twodown: Political Science is a very small department compared to Civil Engineering. Additionally, the College of Liberal Arts accepts a much lower percentage of their applicants compared to the College of Engineering. Perhaps this helps to explain the situation with your daughter and her friend.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~inststdy/factbook/fbfall08.pdf

Number of newly admitted Freshmen:

Political Science -- Civil Engr
    Fall 2004
    Fall 2005
    Fall 2006
    Fall 2007
    Fall 2008

Acceptance rate:

CLA
    CENG
    Fall 2004
    25.0%
    51.7%
    Fall 2005
    33.8%
    45.6%
    Fall 2006
    34.4%
    63.9%
    Fall 2007
    31.8%
    64.4%
    Fall 2008
    25.2%
    43.3%
  • calpolytobecalpolytobe Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Mariner116- Ok i understand more what you are saying. That does make sense that those extra points that could get someone in over others could be based on their classes or a-g requirements
  • jsturavgaznjsturavgazn Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Mariner116- i think ur absolutely right!

also i think that they also scale some gpas that students have differently, because some who take honors courses get the extra grade point while kids at other schools dont get it but they talk advanced classes. for example, at my school i took advanced english freshman a sophmore year and got A's all four semesters. but it did not count as an extra grade point, whereas someone from a school who offered honors english (which is essentially the same course) would get the extra grade point thus inflating the gpa
  • toscanitoscani Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Cal Poly looks for a strong academic portfolio...In other words, you better have a strong backround in Math (4 years including senior year) and the life sciences as well as the other core courses... and the senior courses have additional weight given to them, so make sure you are not weaving baskets...they also look at all your grades, assigning additional weight to courses that are important to the polytechnic focus...Again, this means science & math.
  • WatermarkWatermark Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    Ralph4, thanks for the link of the factbook. It contains tons of information.
  • otc2010otc2010 Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    @twodown: Would you mind sharing, if you know, what math level the CE friend was at. I'm wondering if perhaps it was all honors and calc BC which would be a logical explanation for things. At application time, I actually thought they might look at the hs and based on AP history of prior admitted students know the AP class passing rate. My son's AP Cal teacher has an 85% passing rate, so you know those students are Calc-ready (plus, the 3 that applied scored a 32 or above on the ACT math portion), yet the three that applied didn't get in - had higher gpa/tests than you note.

Also, cheers to your D's friend, of course, but I do want to point out that women engineers are really sought out by universities.
  • twodownonetogotwodownonetogo Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    @otc2010: Her friend was on same track, 4 yrs math, honors Calc. Good kid, we're happy for her too. Maybe female/engineering was the hook.
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.