Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does cal poly reject 'overqualified' students?

13»

Replies to: Does cal poly reject 'overqualified' students?

• Mariner116Mariner116 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    The idea that Cal Poly rejects overqualified students is almost certainly false. In 2009, CalPoly had 30K applications. They made 11K offers and got 4K acceptances. See the admission profile pdf. Those ratios have been pretty steady for the past few years. They know that 2/3 of their offers are not going to be accepted. I'm sure a lot of those 2/3 are highly qualified students who go elsewhere.

It is more probable that a major would look at their applicant numbers and decide that they have a lot of over qualified applicants and, based on that, INCREASE the number of admission offers to compensate for an expected high number of non-acceptances.

The idea that they would simply not make admission offers to those highly qualified applications is pretty much zero.
  • ralph4ralph4 Registered User Posts: 393 Member
    I think Mariner is right on.
  • theo95theo95 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    The OOS issue is very true. I am from Oregon and was accepted, along with 2 other classmates from my very own high school.
  • cccounselorcccounselor Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    do you have 5 years of English as they recommend?
  • cccounselorcccounselor Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    lodywang........did you take the 5 yrs of English as they recommended?
13»
This discussion has been closed.