Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do the different Engineering Majors rank in order of difficulty for acceptance?

NiklasKNiklasK Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Just wondering how hard it is to get into the different engineering majors at Cal Poly. I've heard Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace were among the hardest to get accepted to while Industiral Engineering was among the easiest.

Thoughts?

Industrial
Aerospace Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Post edited by NiklasK on

Replies to: How do the different Engineering Majors rank in order of difficulty for acceptance?

• jsturavgaznjsturavgazn Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Im thinking

computer science
    software
    computer engineering
    aerospace
    mechanical
    electrical
    biomedical (it seems like the stats were pretty high this year)
    civil
    then i think the rest are pretty much tied. but like i think for all majors kids who got accepted at least had a 3.8/3.9 gpa and over a 1250 sat combined.

i think the order fluxuates from year to year
  • iamawesome27iamawesome27 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Actually, my college counselor called the office of admission for my friend the other day.
    He applied for comp. sci and didn't get in...
    but anyways...
    about 900 kids applied for comp. sci. and only 100 were accepted. average gpa = 3.9.
    So I think, in general, it's hard to get into any of the majors listed above ^
    but @niklask , you should really pick a major you're interested in if you plan to apply because it's really hard to change majors once you've been accepted.
  • momofmvmomofmv Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    NiklasK is already in for Materials engineering. Good advice though iamawesome27, because you will start classes in your major right away and if you are not interested in that major it could be very hard to do well or at least very frustrating. I think he was asking about how difficult it is to get in each major of engineering to see how they compare to each other. Maybe?
This discussion has been closed.