Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Another Mustang Daily Indiscretion: What's New?

EktaylorEktaylor Registered User Posts: 1,623 Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Initially, I was not all that bothered by the Mustang Daily's recent politicization. For one, I had whiffed the odor of advocacy for some time and all the Storelli-Kaplan transgression really did was confirm a long held suspicion. However, as I've recently learned, the paper has printed numerous articles that had been unashamedly plagiarized. The most recent example can be seen here.

Now, I generally never get political, but this trend of advocacy, plagiarism, and character assassination seem to produce a narrative of intentional deception. Perhaps most disturbing has been the alleged association of the Storelli campaign with the Mustang Daily and the systematic squelching of the opposition candidate (evidenced in the closure of his Facebook campaign page, administrative suspension of his supporters, and the police presence during the day of the election—producing a toxic environment for democracy if you ask me. With the intellectual contingent in and around campus in exile, I worry balance will never return.

I'm curious what you guys think? Especially, the recent admits--and their parents--who may unfortunately become all too familiar with this sort of behavior.
Post edited by Ektaylor on

Replies to: Another Mustang Daily Indiscretion: What's New?

This discussion has been closed.