Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Computer Network Document Storage

Mariner116Mariner116 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Does CP offer students an ability to store documents to a personal folder on a network drive that could be accessed from both their PCs (in a dorm) and from library computers? If so, do any students do this in order to avoid carrying a laptop around all day?
Post edited by Mariner116 on

Replies to: Computer Network Document Storage

• eduparenteduparent Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I don’t believe Cal Poly has network storage for students, but you can call them and ask. A thumb drive is helpful when going between the dorm computer and the school’s computers. Since flash drives are so small and easily lost, only carry the documents you’ll need that day.
  • NBrinkNBrink Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    I'm not sure if they do or not. My roommate is CS and they get network drive space, but I've never heard of it for anyone else.
    I use google docs though, you can upload anything to it.
  • hhhhhhhhh111hhhhhhhhh111 Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    In short, no. Store your work in email or thumbdrive. You do not want to depend on the library machines, anyway. There aren't enough to go around and they're always occupied
  • bjornredtailbjornredtail Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Well, technically there is polylog1.calpoly.edu . You get a whopping 5 Mb of space! Use SSH or SCP, and the login information is the same as your portal login. You can also put stuff in public_html and have it show up at http://calpoly.edu/~username (where username is your username, of course)

If I remember correctly, it may be possible to access your dorm computer from campus too, you just can't get at it from off campus.

I'm a CSC and I just carry my laptop everywhere. Our major is very good about providing remote access. We get around 300Mb of space and ssh on more unix virtual machines than you can shake a decant sized stick at.
This discussion has been closed.