Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

CSUF a school for mechanical engineering?

whodabombwhodabomb Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited April 2011 in California Colleges
So i was planning on a double major for mechanical engineering and business. Is CSUF a good school for engineering? I know its a pretty good school for business but i dont know about engineering. Oh and also is a double major necessary, cus i saw somewhere that if i major in mechanical engineering i can do business somehow, idk im still confused kind of haha thanks :)
Post edited by whodabomb on

Replies to: CSUF a school for mechanical engineering?

• hesdjjimhesdjjim Registered User Posts: 561 Member
    Doing a mechanical engineering plus a business degree would be murder. You could make a nice living on just a mechanical engineering degree. Also, I would pick SJSU over CSUF for just about any tech-related field, if SJSU is an option. I think they have a good business program, too. Also, try for a few UCs if you have the grades.
  • whodabombwhodabomb Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I was planning on going to CSUF cus i wanted to major in business (entrepreneurship) primarily but now I'm having this dilemma of doing engineering because i want to make use of my creativity & then have my own business. I was limited to applying to only 3 and made it to CSEB & CSUF cus of fee waivers. I wanted to apply to UC's but my grades were not that great...
    I did a quick search of the East Bay website. They offer computer engineering, engineering management, and construction management. I did not see mechanical engineering. On the other hand, Fresno does have mechanical engineering, so it sounds like that should be your choice. Have you visited the campus? Get a good feel for what life is like down there before you accept.

By the way, if you like football, Fresno has a decent football team...
  • CSUChopefulCSUChopeful Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    In the CSU the best for engineering are the two Cal Poly (SLO & Pomona).

Cal State Long Beach and SJSU are also good, but CSUF is not that well known for engineering. Ultimately, if the program is ABET-accredited, it'll be good enough, but that's about it.
    Oh i see, cus I have now no choice to go to Fullerton because the deadline for applications are already over. I regret not doing applying to these schools cus i thought i was going to go to business, but having a change of thought to engineering. And is CSUF ABET? is there still a way i can apply to some schools still or its too late right?
    You could always apply to your local community college and transfer later. If you knock out some really good grades, you might open the doors to both Cal Polys and maybe even UCLA. Along the way, you'll save some serious $$$. I took that route and ultimately got into UC Davis. By the way, sorry, when you said CSUF, I thought you meant Fresno, I forgot about Fullerton.
    Ohh really? Im just scared that I won't be able to transfer if I go to a community college and slack off & i would be screwed... And haha its cool! What would you prefer if I wanted to major in Mechanical Engineering then go to business after? Better to go to a CC or CSUF?
    You'd be fine -- I did it. Mechanical Engineering is a major where you can NOT slack off and expect to succeed. You'd be just as bad if you slacked off at a CC as you would be if you went to a CSU and got kicked out. Just don't slack off. If you need to, take a part-time load at a CC. They'll actually give you that option, whereas, at a UC/CSU, you would need a damn good reason to go part-time.
    Haha I'll see what i can do! THanks for your advice :)
    I heard that you can still transfer to CSU to a UC too though.... Oh! and also i heard its harder to transfer to a UC now. ahhh i dont know what to do haha, I'll see what other people say too, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.