Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Which CSU would be a good target school?

DovadollDovadoll Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited May 2012 in California Colleges
Ok, so I was talking to my counselor and she said there were a few Cal States that would be a good Target school for me. My GPA is a 2.8 (I know not the best) but I got a 25 on the ACT not including writing. Is there any way someone could assist me and tell me if someone's stats were close to mine and whether there actually are a few that I qualify for? The ones I'm interested in are

1) Los Angeles
2) Dominguez Hills
3) San Benardino
4) Fullerton
5) Bakersfield
6) Northridge
Post edited by Dovadoll on

Replies to: Which CSU would be a good target school?

• jakd59jakd59 Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    Those schools all sound like good choices for you. Do you live close to any of these schools? The Cal States have designated service areas that give local students an advantage for admissions. A good source of information for the Cal States is the CSU mentor, which is also the site you would use for your application.
  • CalDudCalDud Registered User Posts: 1,727 Senior Member
    Depends. What do you want to major in?
  • UCSCgirlUCSCgirl Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Depends on your major and what those colleges departments are like. I'd say Cal Poly San Luis Obistpo (SLO) or San Diego State are the best CSU's. But sac state is also good!
  • FullofpopFullofpop Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    Your major is probably going to affect things, since I know a lot of those SoCal schools might be impacted.

Having said that if you're looking for that kind of urban environment where you've got things to do, Bakersfield probably isn't going to give you that.
  • supersnakesssupersnakess Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    I know someone with a 2.-something who got into sfsu
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 63,552 Senior Member
    2.8 * 200 + 25 * 10 = 810 = your ACT-based CSU eligibility index.

Minimum is 694 for unimpacted campuses and majors. For impacted campuses and majors, higher standards apply, but it will not be known until after the admissions cycle (and only San Jose publishes the results, e.g. see here).

Impacted campuses and majors are described here (see this handy chart).

Dominguez Hills is not impacted.
    Bakersfield is impacted only for nursing (which is impacted in every CSU that offers it except Monterey Bay).
    Northridge is impacted for accounting, finance, and financial services.
    San Bernardino is impacted for criminal justice, nursing, and social work.
    Los Angeles is impacted for child development, criminal justice, nursing, psychology, and social work.
    Fullerton is impacted for all majors.
This discussion has been closed.