Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

CSU or JC? [State University or Junior College]

xkillavietxkillaviet Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited May 2013 in California Colleges
I'm a senior that is planning to enroll in SJSU but is also looking at the financial benefit of attending a junior college. I am deciding whether I should attend SJSU or De Anza instead.
I get full financial aid for both school because my family income is 0 and De Anza seems to save more. I'm planning to transfer to a UC either after 4 years at SJSU or 2 years after De Anza.

My problem : Planning to change my mind from attending SJSU to De Anza. (my local JC)

What I know, comparing :

-SJSU cost around 8k a year for me because tuition is around 7k and plus books. I will be taking the bus since they give us a VTA semester pass. Financial aid gives me around 11k a year.
I save around 3k per year for UC.
-De Anza cost around 1k per a year for me because I would be in a low income program that will pay for all my courses. Financial aid gives me 2k per quarter. [including summer]
which is 8k.
I save around 7k per year for UC.

-De Anza is easier to get high GPA and they have TAG[Transfer Guarantee] program which makes De Anza easier to transfer to UC comparing to SJSU.
-De Anza is harder to get classes and might take longer than 2 years to finish...
-De Anza probably have more failures and might be affected by surroundings...

Please help me with what you know about choosing from JC transferring to UC or CSU transferring to UC for a master degree, which option do you prefer, and anything you know/recommend!
Some people say that attending JC will not prepare me for UC because JC is way too easier than CSU. I'm not sure about that but I would love to know more! And PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong with anything!
Thank you!!!
Post edited by xkillaviet on

Replies to: CSU or JC? [State University or Junior College]

• BuckeyeatHeartBuckeyeatHeart Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    I do not know anything about either school, but I would strongly suggest that you talk with the financial aid reps at both schools. I was under the impression that no one gets more financial aid than what will cover the tuition/fees. Scholarships might apply to books, but I do not believe you will actually get extra money (leftover financial aid) to apply to future years. I could be wrong, so that is why I suggest that you talk with someone. Make sure that they understand the question and that you understand the answer.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,460 Senior Member
    I think you should go to SJSU for your bachelors degree. As you wrap that up, start to think about if/where to pursue a Masters.

I'd be surprised if the courses at DeAnza are markedly easier than SJSU. I mean, Accounting is Accounting, you need to cover the same material no matter where you are. An accretided CC has to meet certain criteria.

All transfer plans inject risk into your education. Even with TAG, as you note, you might not get your classes done in 2 years, which puts you behind by a full year (few UCs take mid year transfers). You might also not meet the GPA requirement. Or, they may change the rules due to some blip in funding.

If you start @ SJSU, you remove a lot of external factors and have a specific plan you can follow.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 68,026 Senior Member
    If you are considering the transfer route, check Welcome to ASSIST to see if the CCs you are looking at have good coverage of the prerequisites for your major at your target UCs/CSUs.
This discussion has been closed.