Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CSU Fresno, Chico, Long Beach or San Marcos?

DutchstudenttDutchstudentt Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited January 2014 in California Colleges
Hello, I am a dutch undergraduate student who wants to study abroad for 1 semester.
I would like to do this in California, my university has 4 partner universities in California, these are California state university Fresno, Chico, Long Beach and San Marcos

Now I want to know about which suits me best.
My courses will be marketing, management and finance
Can you provide me with some information?

Which university cities are most attractive?
Which universities have the best student life, campuses and parties?
Are there big area differences in cost of living? (housing, food, leisure)

Thank you!

Replies to: CSU Fresno, Chico, Long Beach or San Marcos?

• NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,795 Senior Member
    Chico probably has the best 'life' around campus but, the town is isolated in the North Sac Valley. Fresno is not a nice place to visit... I'll just leave it at that.

San Marcos and Long Beach will give you more of a California feel but don;t have the real residential feel and campus centric party scene.
  • LongRangePlanLongRangePlan Registered User Posts: 750 Member
    Chico is BEAUTIFUL. The river runs right across campus. Lots of huge old trees, footbridges, clean air, true college town feel with the charming and historic downtown immediately adjacent to campus. I toured with a friend last spring and we were so impressed. Good mix of lovely old brick buildings and modern construction, nice new student gym.
  • collegevettingcollegevetting Registered User Posts: 1,175 Senior Member
    Chico is great and near Yosemite which I consider great but you'd need a friend with a car to get there . Long Beach is on the beach and is more incorporated into the city life if you want to be more experiencing the country (well, Southern California, anyhow) than 'college life'. I'd say Chico is more of a 'college life' experience. Chico is probably my favorite CSU if I look at it just as a place to go to college, rather than through some other lens.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 3,174 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Another vote for Chico State. I didn't go there, but I used to live about an hour away and loved the campus.

The town of Chico is a very interesting mix of college town and cowboy town. I'd also have to think Chico is the least expensive of your choices.
This discussion has been closed.