Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Low sat score? Do i have a chance?

Julie3Julie3 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
I want to apply to UCI, UCD, UCSC, UCSB and maybe UCLA for the heck of it. (Then CSU Fullteron, SDSU, CSULB and the cal poly's for safeteys)

My SAT is really low: 1640. Ive taken it twice and got the exact same score.
GPA: 3.9
EC's: founded and VP of photography club, publicist and treasurer of Model United Nations, 50 volunteer hours, cross country, Interact club (like key club), french honors society, involved with church youthgroup, played in orchestra for 8 years. Ive taken a class at community college and got an A

I know my sat score is really low but everything else is good. What are my chances of getting into a UC?

Replies to: Low sat score? Do i have a chance?

• GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 19,372 Senior Member
    SAT score 1610 out of 2400, I am assuming? What is your Math +CR score? Have you tried the ACT instead or the New SAT?

UC GPA? https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

Intended major?

UC's put more emphasis on GPA than test scores, but your SAT test scores are pretty low for the UC's on your list. UCSC and UCR would be better options.

Depending upon your major Cal Poly SLO, probably would not be considered a safety since it is the most competitive CSU.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 2,259 Senior Member
    I'd focus on practicing. The SAT is a test and as such there are only so many ways to ask questions and to trip you up. Bone up on your test taking skills by practicing. Then, if still no progress,you may want to change your strategy (if ACT is no better) and rethink of applications to schools that don't require standardized tests or are so called test optional.
  • Julie3Julie3 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I want to major in Political Science so it isnt that competitive. I cant retake the SAT again, its to late to do it before college apps are due. @Gumbymom @preppedparent
  • Happy2HelpHappy2Help Registered User Posts: 1,219 Senior Member
    For UCs: You can take the October, November, or December SAT, and/or the September, October, or December ACT.
  • Julie3Julie3 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Im taking the US history sat in october.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 19,372 Senior Member
    Although political science is not considered a competitive major, the UC's are considered competitive schools. SAT subject tests are not required or recommended for political science majors. Your time would be better spend on retaking the regular SAT.
This discussion has been closed.