Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which CSU Campuses (with engineering majors) are nice/in nice areas?

2»

Replies to: Which CSU Campuses (with engineering majors) are nice/in nice areas?

• TadCooper98TadCooper98 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    I live 20 mins from Sonoma. No engineering unless you mean Electrical.
    Beautiful campus. Nice dorms. Plenty to do in the city of Rohnert Park. Busses to SF available
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,213 Senior Member
    What kind of engineering? If he is not decided and may change, schools where engineering majors are not impacted or less impacted may be favorable, because highly impacted majors may be difficult to change into.

Some of the campuses mentioned have only limited choice of engineering majors:

Bakersfield: engineering science*, may emphasize in biosystems/agricultural, engineering management, or petroleum
    Dominguez Hills: none
    East Bay: industrial, computer*
    Sonoma: electrical*

You can look up ABET accredited engineering majors offered at http://main.abet.org/aps/Accreditedprogramsearch.aspx . Note that the programs marked with * are not yet ABET accredited (new programs must graduate some students first; if ABET accreditation is granted, it is retroactive to those previous students).
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,996 Senior Member
    I think Dominguez hills has physics with a concentration in engineering science or something like that. My brother has decided against DH. He is mostly interested in: Nano, Materials, Electrical, Civil, Mechanical. Neutral with Chemical Engineering, and not interested in the rest. CSUEB is pretty much guaranteed so he's going to have it as a backup (smart imo). At Sonoma they have Electrical so he's thinking about keeping it.

For those who asked, his index as calculated with his previous SAT score is 3650 although I suspect it's slightly better now.

Thank you for the ABET link, I'll pass it on. I wish he was interested enough to do this research for himself, but hey I don't want him to go through the community college mess and get stuck living with our crazy parents any longer than he has to.
    He has also decided against Bakersfield due to location, the fact it's more of a commuter school than others, and lack of options for engineering majors.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,213 Senior Member
    philbegas wrote:
    He is mostly interested in: Nano, Materials, Electrical, Civil, Mechanical. Neutral with Chemical Engineering, and not interested in the rest. CSUEB is pretty much guaranteed so he's going to have it as a backup (smart imo).

However, CSUEB does not have any of those engineering majors that he is mostly interested in, so it may not be a very good backup.

SJSU lists previous EI thresholds; see http://www.sjsu.edu/admissions/impaction/ .
    2016    2015    2014    Major
    3700    3400    2900    Chemical Engineering
    3700    3250    3400    Civil Engineering
    3600    3300    3500    Electrical Engineering
    3600    2900    2900    Materials Engineering
    4000    3800    3850    Mechanical Engineering

• GoldenWestGoldenWest Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    My son started at Chico this year and so far we have been very impressed with everything we have seen there. The campus is beautiful and definitely has a residential feel. They are working very hard to get rid of the "party school" reputation. As a matter of fact, Money Magazine just ranked Chico as the highest of all the CSU's by their criteria, and in the top 100 of 700 schools nationwide. It's definitely worth a road trip to check it out.

http://www.csuchico.edu/news/current-news/7-13-2016-chico-ranking-money-magazine.shtml
    I think after receiving admittance responses we could go visit it
    For those who helped me out through this, my brother was accepted to:
    UNR, NAU, WSU, Chico, SFSU, SJSU, Sonoma
    Denied from: SDSU

He decided to attend SJSU. He already deposited and provided he passes his calc 1 class this summer he's a direct admit to Materials Engineering. If he doesn't, I think he becomes undeclared and then has to apply to it like verybody else.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,801 Senior Member
    Congrats and good luck
2»
This discussion has been closed.