Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What would be the best Bay Area universities for Applied Math and Actuarial Sciences?

ThresholdThreshold Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
Excluding UCB and Stanford, those I'm pretty certain I have 1% chance of ever getting accepted. I will be transferring from College of San Mateo. What would be a good college to transfer to considering my standing right now? I was considering SJSU and CSUEB, but are those good enough?

If anyone is wondering
GPA is at only 3.14 (rapid upward trend, started out first semester in academic probation)
Decent EC's:
100 hours of volunteering
2 Jobs while in college
Business club (Business Honor Society as well)
Catalyst Club
Music Production and Photography (made a business out of selling art)

Replies to: What would be the best Bay Area universities for Applied Math and Actuarial Sciences?

• ThresholdThreshold Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
  • UCBUSCalumUCBUSCalum Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    Of the 2 you mentioned above, probably SJSU, because academically, SJSU is higher that CSUEastBay. If cost is not a factor, look into nearby UC's: UCD, UCSC and UCM. I don't know if they offer majors in applied math and actuarial sciences. At least math, I would think these UC's offer it. Actuarial science might be a subset of math.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 24,369 Forum Champion
    edited September 2016
    Not in the Bay Area but UCSB and UCLA have what you are looking for: http://www.pstat.ucsb.edu/instruction/actuary.htm

https://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad

Also UCB: https://math.berkeley.edu/programs/undergraduate/major/applied

From UC Davis Website:
    At UC Davis, we don’t offer a program in actuarial science; very few institutions confer such a degree. But having an educational background in statistics, mathematics, or economics provides good preparation for the actuarial profession. Your curriculum should include calculus, linear algebra, probability and statistics, computer science, and economics. For more information, please visit Preparing for an Actuarial Career While in College. UC Davis has a student run Actuarial Science Association. They are a wonderful resource for connecting to other students with similar interests. They also hold regular exam prep courses for the P and FM exams and host several guest speaker events throughout the year. You can find out more about the Actuarial Science Association.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,808 Senior Member
    Both are good enough to be accredited. EB is fine. SJSU is probably a little 'better' but, honestly, it won't matter much in the long term.
  • ThresholdThreshold Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Yeah i'd definitely aim for uc davis or uc santa barbara but the expenses are too high for me as of right now
This discussion has been closed.