Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Worth It to Go to California?

hopingtoget1nhopingtoget1n Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey all,
So I'm from virginia and last spring break did the typical college tour in California, North Carolina and New York. I fell in love with USC but honestly, when people ask my why I love it there I can't really give them a direct reason. Now, I'm applying and was wondering if any of you could list the pros of going to USC, or even to just California colleges in general.

Also, I'm applying undecided but I am interested in business and possibly even human science

Replies to: Worth It to Go to California?

• PrimeMeridianPrimeMeridian Registered User Posts: 1,224 Senior Member
    when people ask my why I love it there I can't really give them a direct reason. Now, I'm applying and was wondering if any of you could list the pros of going to USC, or even to just California colleges in general.}/quote]

It speaks volumes that you aren't able to articulate why you like USC.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,279 Senior Member
    What is "human science"?
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 24,293 Forum Champion
    If USC is affordable and your stats are within range, there is no reason not to apply. Just remember visiting versus actually living at and attending a school can be very different. If you are accepted, I would definitely make a return visit to make sure you a happy with your decision.

@TomSrOfBoston: https://dornsife.usc.edu/health-and-human-sciences/
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Aside from the school and tuition itself, you have to factor in travel costs, being on a very different time frame from the east coast, the cost of living in California, etc.

I don't know anything about USC but I do love southern California. It's not without its issues however. I'd go into it as informed as possible.

Is there a reason you are not looking in Virginia with (at least) 3 great schools in state? If you want something very different (or warmer) how about somewhere further south, or Florida?
  • bookguybookguy Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member

I think the "worth it" question can be very relative since it relates to financial situation. Some families can drop $60K a year on a private university, and if the student loves the university and has a great educational experience, etc., then the conclusion might be that it was worth it. If merit or financial aid come into play, then a student could be looking at a lower cost than full price and maybe it would be "worth it" for that student....what is troubling is when students who do not have the resources for universities take out big loans and get into a financial strain and then in retrospect think it was not worth it.

I also think it's difficult to answer these questions in the abstract because many students are considering and comparing different colleges and universities -- let's say you were to get into a VA public university and USC, then you're dealing with a comparison, this university for X amount versus another university for X amount. So the question is "worth it" in relation to what other options

I do think you should try to articulate why you loved USC. It's a great university with a very nice campus, but there are a lot of great universities with very nice campuses. If you are clear on what attracted you and why you felt good there, then you can consider whether you can find that somewhere else so that you have more than one university as a possibility for you.
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,996 Senior Member
    Regarding CA colleges in general - I lived in so-cal for 10 years and nor-cal for about 11 and I love so-cal enough that I go back and visit every once in awhile. CA is an awesome place to live, no matter the age. But the thing is, CA itself has many different areas with hugely different feels. For example, I wouldn't recommend somebody from the east coast come to CA to go to college in Bakersfield (because it sucks), but I would always recommend checking out some of the nicer areas like San Diego, LA, SF bay area, etc.

"Is it worth it" is a pretty vague question.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,801 Senior Member
    CA is VAST and our geography is very diverse. There are more than 100 colleges here so, you'll have to be a it more specific with your questions.
This discussion has been closed.