Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A change of heart

TadCooper98TadCooper98 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
edited September 2016 in California Colleges
So CSU applications are soon. I finally came clean to myself and my parents ... I don't want any part of engineering. What I really want to major in is ... Theatre. My parents are super supportive and want me to just follow a passion ...
With that finally being out in the open... What CSUs should I apply to?
What about UC Irvine? Do I have a chance with a 3.83 GPA SAT 1280/1600 essay score 7? Is UCR a viable option?

Replies to: A change of heart

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 24,293 Forum Champion
    Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19:

UCB: 12%
    UCLA: 14%
    UCSD: 39%
    UCSB: 49%
    UCD: 52%
    UCI: 57%
    UCSC: 83%
    UCR: 90%
    UCM: 92%

As a Theatre major applicant, the acceptance rate for drama at UCI was around 32% for 2015 Freshman.
    I would say you stand a decent chance at UCI and UCR is a definite Match. If you are interested in Theater, I would also look at UCSB, CSU Fullerton, Long Beach and SDSU. For a Reach, consider UCSD.
  • bookguybookguy Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member

I heard theater at CSU Fullerton is strong. UCI has a good program. When we visited SDSU they had a photo exhibit of famous people doing Shakespeare in Balboa Park -- Christopher Walken in 1969. Not sure if he went to SDSU or they just have the photo. Also -- check into it, but I think some programs require an audition of some sort.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,409 Senior Member
    SDSU is impacted in all majors. The school is highly sought after by anyone wanting to get into a Southern California CSU. The theater major is especially popular because the school does have ties to the local theater and to the Old Globe. If the OP is not local to the SDSU area, then the competition for any major will be fierce.
This discussion has been closed.