right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UCSB vs Community College

BayernMunichBayernMunich 3 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hello, so I'm having a dilemma right before I start college in the fall. One of my dreams in HS was to get accepted into UCSB and it came true when I received my acceptance. Everything seemed perfect until I compare the prices of a UC tuition vs a CC tuition and I don't know if the first 2 years at UCSB is worth the tuition when I could practically go to CC for free and then transfer. Then again, I wanted to get into the Engineering program but I was accepted to the College of Letters and Science instead. Transferring to the Engineering program is a challenge from what I heard, but it's a challenge I'm willing to face or should I just go to CC and reapply where I have a better chance of getting into the Engineering program. There are many other factors for both sides, but these two are the main ones. So the real questions is: Should I stay and hope to get in again or go straight in and hope for the best?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UCSB vs Community College

• GumbymomGumbymom 27188 replies133 discussionsForum Champion UC Posts: 27,321 Forum Champion
    edited July 12
    @BayernMunich: Would you be happy at UCSB as a non-Engineering major or is it all or nothing?
    edited July 12
    Post edited by Gumbymom on
    · Reply · Share
  • mikemacmikemac 10255 replies150 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,405 Senior Member
    edited July 15
    according to your thread https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/2137726-which-of-these-options-is-best.html you want to be a mechanical engineer and were accepted at SJSU for that major but were worried about cost. In this thread cost again is a factor. So it sounds like the best thing is to go to a CC for 2 years. This also increases your chances of being able to become a ME. UCSB does not publish stats on how many people are able to switch into engineering that I can find, but you can expect that it would be more difficult than gaining admission into engineering from a CC.
    edited July 15
    · Reply · Share
  • BayernMunichBayernMunich 3 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Came with the tough decision that CC is the way to go. I save a lot of money and get another shot at universities for MechE major.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 27188 replies133 discussionsForum Champion UC Posts: 27,321 Forum Champion
    Best of luck.
    · Reply · Share