right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Chances of getting into Pomona *again* as a transfer

MoezeeMoezee 25 replies6 threads Junior Member
My son was lucky enough to be accepted to Pomona College last year but after a sudden turn of events, an acceptance off the waitlist at Brown in June, he backed off from Pomona and switched his plan to Brown. He has found that Brown doesn’t have everything he loved about Pomona and he is reapplying to transfer in the fall of 2020. Has anyone been accepted to Pomona College and then re-accepted as a transfer? The odds were so low to begin with. His academic record at Brown is excellent. We are hoping they’ll take him back! Any insight into the transfer admissions there would be appreciated.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances of getting into Pomona *again* as a transfer

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 7481 replies77 threads Senior Member
    If he withdrew politely it is possible. I have seen it happen (and not happen). Good luck to him.

I wish the 'Ivy or bust' applicants could see posts like this. Not a dis on Brown- just the point that it is the fit for the kid that matters.
    · Reply · Share
  • MoezeeMoezee 25 replies6 threads Junior Member
    edited February 12
    He did withdraw politely. And he wasn’t about the Ivy name at all. In fact, it was a deterrent. He spoke about rising above all the hype by going to Pomona. It was a really hard choice for him but he thought the university atmosphere would give him more in some way. He didn’t consider fit the way he should have and the way he realizes it now. Can you be more specific about having seen it happen and not happen?
    edited February 12
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7481 replies77 threads Senior Member
    Wasn't poking your son as an 'Ivy or Bust' applicant! just noting that there are a lot of them here on CC...

I know several students who chose XU over YU because of a particular factor that seemed more important to them at the decision point, but when they got to college realized that the factor was not as important as they had imagined. The two I know best essentially wrote that as their 'why' essay, and were told by the AOs at YU that they get that. As you probably know, quite a few colleges send a 'we'll keep your records for a year just in case you re-think your decision not to come' note for just that reason.

But, obviously it doesn't always work, esp at the more selective level, not least b/c there just aren't as many places available. Opinion only, but my read of a couple of the students I know who were unsuccessful in transferring to a college that had previously accepted them is that they didn't have as much of a handle on why they weren't happy as they thought they did. Reading yourself is hard at any age, but for for young adults in the middle of big transitions it can be especially hard.

All anecdotal though, so only marginally better than reading tea leaves :smile:

n.b., Pomona is a little unusual in that its acceptance & transfer acceptance rates are pretty much the same.

Good luck to him!

· Reply · Share
  • MoezeeMoezee 25 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Well, he was advised not to dwell too much on what he doesn’t like about Brown but rather highlight those aspects of Pomona that he has a newfound appreciation for hoping that makes it obvious that those factors are currently missing. Trying to stay positive. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share