right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

BSN MAJOR CALIFORNIA

kuyanoahkuyanoah 6 replies4 threads New Member
I am intending on being a nursing major out of high school. I need help and advice on which school would be the best choice for me.

So far, I have been accepted to:

-Azusa Pacific (21k scholarship)
-Biola (20k scholarship)
-Mt. St. Mary's
-CSU San Marcos
-CSU Long Beach
-CSU Los Angeles

I know that APU and Mt. St. Mary's have offered me a direct entry to nursing program, and the others are a 2+2 pre-nursing major. I am wondering exactly how hard really is it to transfer to a BSN program after pre-nursing? BTW I am still waiting for UCI, CSUF, and SDSU to get back to me.

Thank You!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: BSN MAJOR CALIFORNIA

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 29807 replies316 threads Forum Champion
    I am one for always advocating in accepting a direct admit program. With low acceptance rates for many BSN programs after completing the Pre-Nursing, it definitely helps to be in a program without worrying about applying again. Transferring into a BSN program will have more requirements than a direct admit.

See CSULB’s requirements: https://www.csulb.edu/college-of-health-human-services/school-of-nursing/degrees-programs/undergraduate-bsn-faq-and

You still have a few decisions pending so wait until they are all posted and then make an informed decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • kuyanoahkuyanoah 6 replies4 threads New Member
    Okay thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • NCalRentNCalRent 6320 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Congrats so far!
    those are all very competitive programs.
    I'd echo the above advise - see where else you get in before committing and heavily favoring a direct admit.

if you look at the Faq link from @Gumbymom and select ''Is it difficult to be accepted ... " it looks like they admit about 80 per term and their GPA is around 3.9. San Marcos looks like a similar threshold. https://www.csusm.edu/nursing/programs/traditional-bsn/statistics.html
    I wouldn't count on that...
    · Reply · Share
  • hophop 1016 replies3 threads Senior Member
    I strongly agree that the direct admit options are your best options.

The 2+2 programs are a huge risk in CA, in that the CSU's tend to over-admit for the first 2 years of pre-nursing with the thought that many will either not make the grade or change their mind about nursing. But the results of that approach is that there are not enough 'seats' for qualified students and many students will have to scramble to find an appropriate program (typically a private option) for their second 2 years.

Since APU and Mt St. Mary's have both admitted you to their programs directly, your next task is to determine where you'd rather be (MSMary's is beautiful, but tiny) and if the costs at the respective schools line up with what your family can comfortably afford.

The other thing you need to asses are their clinical programs; required courses, where you'll be doing your training and the NCLEX pass rates at any school that you commit to.
    https://www.rn.ca.gov/education/passrates.shtml
    · Reply · Share