right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is it too late to be recruited for Caltech swimming?

potatomonkeypotatomonkey 8 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
Hi CC,

I'm currently a senior and am wondering if it is too late to be recruited for Caltech swimming. My stats should be academically competitive for Caltech (ACT C36, M35, S36 and some bio competitions where I placed top 10%), and based on the 2018-2019 roster, I am faster than 2-3 people. I already submitted the questionnaire online, is there anything else I need to do? How exactly does the recruiting process for Caltech work, e.g. do you have to commit if you are accepted? What are my chances? Here are my times (M):
100-yd breaststroke: 1:05 mid
100-yd freestyle: 54 low
100-yd IM: 1:01 high
Thanks!
edited September 7
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is it too late to be recruited for Caltech swimming?

• techinerdtechinerd 30 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Are the times you noted in SCY, SCM or LCM? Also, 100 IM is not a college event, only 200IM or 400IM.
    · Reply · Share
  • potatomonkeypotatomonkey 8 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    SCY, I haven't swam 200 IM since 2016, so I thought the 100 IM would be more accurate. I would guess my 200 IM to be somewhere around 2:10 or so.
    · Reply · Share
  • LemonleeLemonlee 64 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I don’t think the Caltech coaches have much influence in admissions - at least that is the sense we got from the coach when our D was in the recruiting process. However, he was very helpful in providing feedback on how to strengthen her application and what admissions would be looking for.

I think you need to reach out to the coach directly to see if there is any interest, just filling out the survey is not enough.
    · Reply · Share
    I have a friend from my school who is in the recruiting process and they said if your stats are competitive for Caltech, the coach can help you write a letter of recommendation that will help you stand out against the rest of the pool of applicants. Is that true, or is the letter not that much help? Also, would it be better to contact the head coach or the assistant coaches? I read somewhere else that the assistant coaches are the main ones communicating with prospective recruits.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22754 replies2239 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    Why don't you contact the coach at CalTech and ask?
    · Reply · Share
  • techinerdtechinerd 30 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    A 1:05 in 100 breast would make you the fastest on the team by far. I'd reach out directly to the head coach via e-mail. Last I heard, the team does not have an assistant swim coach (last year's assistant recently took a position at another school). Also, if you get accepted to Caltech, you don't have to go. As a general rule, however, coach will only give you support if they feel like their school is your first choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving 134 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited September 10
    Here are my times (M):
    100-yd breaststroke: 1:05 mid
    100-yd freestyle: 54 low
    100-yd IM: 1:01 high
    Thanks!

Mens or Womens?

If Mens you can probably walk on and be part of the team, but you will get very little coaches support. Never hurts to try to get coaches support though.

If Womens you would be very competitive and likely to get as much support as the coach can give.

Check out there conference championship and see if you would have scored points: https://www.collegeswimming.com/results/118598/
    edited September 10
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 15
    It's for mens. How much support can the coach give for my application? Does it significantly help my chances or is it merely a second look?
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2033 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The only person who can answer your question is the men's swimming coach. Beyond filling out the online questionnaire have you emailed or called them? If not, why not? I encourage you to call tomorrow.

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share