Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Got rejected to CSULB...

Replies to: Got rejected to CSULB...

• MOM1006MOM1006 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    I received an email with a thank you letter... But it was not my sons first choice so he is not upset. We figured he would not get in.
  • melody1073melody1073 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I also got rejected from CSULB and I had a 3.25 GPA. I did get accepted to SJSU though, so that makes me feel better. I also applied to UCI, UCLA, and UCSB and now I'm really worried about those!
  • feuclafeucla Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    my friend just got rejected fron CSULB with 3.9 GPA, he is very involved in the college. I guess this university will have all 4.00 GPA students this Fall
  • csulbhopefullcsulbhopefull Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    @feucla,

I think you must have missed some kind of deadline or forgot to turn in documentation. I got in with a 3.0.
    Like I posted earlier, average SATs at LB are in the mid 900s. So if you had a 3.9, there was something wrong with your application, unless you had a super low SAT score (800).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_University,_Long_Beach#Admission
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    I think referral area and major and gpa weighs heavily at most CSU's.
  • prtseaprtsea Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @shrinkrap: As I mentioned elsewhere on these boards, SAT scores were lower for out of area applicants last year (950s/1600). GPA and SATs are is combined into the CSU eligibility index (gpa x 800 + SAT/1600). I guess one could say GPAs are weighed more heavily.

California State University Long Beach - DAF - IMA
  • feuclafeucla Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    He didn't go to HS here, so SAT was not required for him. I though the rejection was strange because of the high GPA and he live in California. Probably was becuase his major, Psychology , is highly competitive. :/
    Why would the SAT not be required of him? I am seriously thinking your son may have misunderstood the admissions process. He should have just submitted his score. If psychology is a competitive major, they would surely require an SAT score.
    That's interesting prtsea! Not sure if I'm reading it right, but gpa's from non local kids are a little higher?

It is my impression that SAT's are not required if you meet criteria in other ways, but SAT's CAN raise your eligibility index. As you can see from prtsea's link, kids get in without submitting SAT scores, but most submit.

But overall, I would say that SAT's are not weighed as heavily as some other things. . My son had SAT's that were high for most CSU's, but he was rejected from several. Well it's been a few admission cycles, and "several" may not be right, but at least three.

BTW, I'm talking about freshman admits!
  • DazednConfused08DazednConfused08 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I got waitlisted. 3.7 GPA, transfer student, economics major. I think waitlisted is code for Rejected lol
  • tmc6773tmc6773 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I got waitlisted with a 3.74 GPA, transfer, in-state, kinesiology/exercise science major. I just sent in my official transcript so hopefully it'll work out.
  • lakerfan23lakerfan23 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What people need to understand is that the california state schools are severely impacted, and some majors are overflowing with applications. If you are a freshman, it could have been better to apply as undecided or something that slightly interests you, because all freshman do the GE classes anyway-and then declare a major.

I am a transfer student hoping to join the Film and Electronic arts Department with an emphasis in Narrative Production. I have a 4.0 college GPA and have a catalog of extra curricular activities. My major requires a portfolio and interview once accepted to the university, so I won't know whether I got in until mid March probably.

I checked my status online and it says that my application has been forwarded to my academic department, so I'm guessing that I'm accepted and now waiting for the FEA Department, but I will just have to wait and see.
    ^ Good luck!

That doesn't work for certain schools and certain majors. For example it is notoriously difficult to change majors at SLO.
  • mrsleonoremrsleonore Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    @lakerfan, I don't recommend your approach either as most departments try to prevent an easier "back door" entry into their program. I would recommend getting into the department right off the bat if you can rather than risk going to a school only to end up studying something you're not so interested in. Besides, most CSU curricula is spread out over the entire 4 years as opposed to the 2 year GE + 2 year major courses as practiced at UCs. I know that is particularly the case in specialized majors such as engineering and architecture at Cal Poly Pomona.

That being said, most CSUs are experiencing increased demand, but it seems like CSULB is still keeping the entry threshold relatively low. 950 on the SATs for last year keeps it in the middle or lower end of the CSU pack.
This discussion has been closed.