Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Got rejected to CSULB...

twitchyeyedtwitchyeyed Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hello, I'm an resident in Massachusetts and I'd had applied for fall admission in 2013 to Cal state Long beach. I have all my common cores finished with 60 transferable credits after this spring semester. My gpa is 3.714 at a local state university and I'm not involved in any extracurricular activities. Just wanted to know why they rejected me, I wish they would tell you in the letter the reason so you can improve on something, rather than just saying,"CSULB admissions are more competitive than ever this year,sorry".
This worries my because I have applied to UCSB, UCI, and UCLA. If I can't get admitted to even their inferior state school, I doubt i'll gain admission to the UCs.
Post edited by twitchyeyed on

Replies to: Got rejected to CSULB...

• csulbhopefullcsulbhopefull Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I am suspecting it's mainly because you're out of state. CSULB is not particularly hard to get in to. The average SAT last year was just 960/ 1600 which is pretty much what I have and that's pretty low. I am very hopeful I can get in this year for Mechanical Engineering. I already got rejected from Cal Poly Pomona. Here's where I got my stats.

California State University, Long Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your only hope is that the UCs will be more hungry for your out of state money. Have you applied to any other CSU?
  • myboby123myboby123 Registered User Posts: 428 Member
    i am surprised as well. try a few other CSUs or other State Universities. if you are open to other regions in Cal, i'd recommend applying San Jose State, Sacramento State, Chico State, etc.
  • twitchyeyedtwitchyeyed Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    yes I applied to SFSU, and SDSU. I didn't know it was going to be this hard for out of state admission. This was my safety school for my transfer schools in cali, thats if I didn't get into UCSB, or UCI, because I know my chances of UCLA are slim to none. Why does Cali have to be broke????NOOOOO
  • 3mshaw3mshaw Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Im so sorry! I wish you the best. Does this mean no news is good for me? I am also out of state, I am a first time freshman with a 3.85 gpa and a 24 on the ACT. For theatre Major. I just checked my admissions status and it said, "Your application has met the minimum requirments it now enters the competive round of admissions. Youll hear by April." Is this good or bad?? And willl it really take until April? I have already been accepted into CSUF and I can confirm on Feb 21. And I want to know where Im going ASAP!
  • 3mshaw3mshaw Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Also been accepted to CSUN !
  • Dimas1227Dimas1227 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @csulbhopefull i was wondering what were all your stats because i also applied to cal poly pomona for mech engineering and my sat are 1000/1600
    However i got a 22 on act but never sent it so what can you tell me
  • csulbhopefullcsulbhopefull Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    @dimas. I had a 950/1600 and a 3.0. I know that's pretty low, but last year my friend got into CSULB with similar stats. Cal Poly Pomona engineering is quite a bit tougher. You need close to a 1200, but I hear it's even tougher for Mech, Aero, Civil.

Cal Poly Pomona College of Engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Dimas1227Dimas1227 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @csulbhopeful

Damn its gonna be hard but like you said, be hopeful.. let me know what colleges get back to you i will too if it alright with you
  • yjjsv1991yjjsv1991 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    you guys your stats are not bad, my friend got into 3 UC's and got waitlisted at Long Beach UC's will accept you.
  • mrsleonoremrsleonore Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    the average SAT at long beach is 960/ 1600, which is even below the CSU average. UC Riverside, disregarding Merced, is the lowest UC at close to 1100/ 1600. Just be patient.
  • EliteToastEliteToast Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Keep in mind, Long Beach State is in the top five for number of applicants(80,000). If you are not from the Long Beach area, then yes it is a very selective school especially for out of state applicants. The average SAT scores are low because of local area applicants who receive priority.
  • EliteToastEliteToast Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    @3mshaw

Yes this is good. You will hear in late April. That is when they got back to me last year.
  • MOM1006MOM1006 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    It's a no from Long Beach
  • CrispyJuicyCrispyJuicy Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Didn't get in I had a 1080/1550 3.4 gpa. In state, oh well haha
  • lorilclorilc Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    How were you notified?
This discussion has been closed.