right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Chances of acceptance? California Resident

I'm kinda scared that I'm not gonna get accepted into Long Beach cuz I'm not from that area in California.
I live in the Bay Area aka Northern California. My scores and GPA aren't terrible:

SAT (redesigned): 1300
GPA (the number that showed up on the CSU application): 3.83. Apparently this is because of a glitch but idk.
GPA weighted: 4.0 (from grades 10 and 11)....this is the GPA that should've shown up
GPA Unweighted: 3.76 (grades 10 and 11)

Eligibility index, using my 4.0 GPA: 4500
Eligibility index, using CSU application generated GPA of 3.38: 4364
In terms of all of this, I'm more than eligible for this University.

I took 3 AP exams, and got two 3s and one 4.
I also took 1 dual enrollment course my junior year, got a C, and 2 courses my senior year, and got an A and B.

But ahhhh I'm so scared cuz I read an article that said they give priority to local residents, with super low SAT and ACT scores like a 1300 and 17, respectively. And GPAs a whole grade point lower than mine.

Is anyone in a similar situation?
Also, how bad of grades can I get senior year? I already got 2 Cs my first semester, both in AP courses, which probably looks bad but oh well. The rest of them are As.
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances of acceptance? California Resident

• vyomineevyominee 9 replies4 threads New Member
    Should I mention, I applied as environmental science.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 28522 replies190 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    edited February 2018
    You look solid for CSULB. Your EI is well above the average threshold of 3900-4000. Best of luck.

As long as you pass all Senior courses with a C or higher, you should be fine.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • NCalRentNCalRent 6193 replies14 threads Senior Member
    i agree, I am pretty confident you will be admitted.
    · Reply · Share
  • Stone851Stone851 15 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I feel that you will for sure get into Long Beach as long as you do not get any grades worse than a C. But try to get B's and higher in all of your classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • vyomineevyominee 9 replies4 threads New Member
    Sadly, I got rejected. It sucks, because I'm pretty sure their main reason for rejection was my residence. Oh well :(
    · Reply · Share
  • veryworriedmamaveryworriedmama 25 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I’m sorry you got denied for admission. My son too received a letter saying he was denied. I did call the school today to find out the reason and they will tell you.
    · Reply · Share
  • MatriculatorMatriculator 5 replies0 threads New Member
    Looks pretty good, maybe try to pick those C's up a little though. The AP factor helps. I don't think colleges localize their enrollment to that extent. More by state in my mind though I could be wrong. My understanding is that they only look at first semester grades senior year so maybe save the sliding for second semester?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity