Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where should I go for nursing?

2»

Replies to: Where should I go for nursing?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 25,744 Forum Champion
    More about CSUSB and Pre-Nursing:
    Pre-Nursing
    Applicants to Nursing majors must submit an application within the initial filing period for fall 2018. All applicants are encouraged to identify an alternate major on their admission application. Transcripts of all coursework completed and other required documents must be submitted to Office of Admissions & Student Recruitment by July 1, 2018. The Pre-Nursing and Nursing major admission is only available for students who are California residents.

Admission of first-time freshmen to Nursing majors will be based on the eligibility index (EI) which is determined by a combination of SAT or ACT test scores and high school grade point average, and also on grades in laboratory science courses. A minimum SAT EI of 3920 or ACT EI of 938 (alternative SAT EI of 3500 or an alternative ACT EI of 840) and a 3.0 GPA in laboratory science courses is required for admission.

Admission of upper-division transfers to Nursing majors will be based on transferable grade point average and completion of prerequisite coursework. A minimum of 3.50 GPA is required, and a minimum grade of “C” is required in each of the following courses with an overall GPA of 3.00: Oral Communication (A1), Written Communication (A2), Critical Thinking (A3), BIOL 220, BIOL 223 or 224, CHEM 205, and MATH 165 or acceptable Statistics.
    Well that is good know about getting the classes at UCI. My advice is always go for the direct admit and since you got into Pre-Nursing at CSUSB with a guaranteed admission if you pass the TEAS, this seems like the best route if Nursing is your #1 choice. Employers will not care if you get your BSN from CSUSB or from UCI, your job skill set will be most important.
  • co2018nurco2018nur Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @Gumbymom Thank you so much for the information and your advices!!! I really appreciate it! You've been very helpful to me :)
    @Gumbymom hi! one more question. If I don't get into UCI nursing for change of major, will my graduation be delayed if I continue to finish for bio major?

I would assume the majority of your Nursing pre-req courses will overlap with your Biology courses so you should be on track to finish that Biology degree even if Nursing school is not in your future.

Here is the link to the Nursing course curriculum and seems to match pretty closely to a Biology major course plan:
    http://www.nursing.uci.edu/bs-prospective-students.asp

UCI’s Biology 4 year curriculum: http://catalogue.uci.edu/schoolofbiologicalsciences/#bioscimajor
2»
This discussion has been closed.