Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Question on dropping a course after admittance

leovardleovard Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello everyone! I recently got conditional admittance for Spring 2018 and I have a huge question to ask. I understand that the classes I am taking this semester (Fall 2018) do not count towards spring transfer and made the mistake of taking a chemistry 111AC class this fall. This chemistry course does not count towards my Health Science in Community Health major and was not listed on Assist.org, but now I am in danger of failing this course (I have a 74%) and there is no way I could bring my grade up to a B considering how difficult this professor is to understand. I have already called CSULB admissions and they recommended that I talk to my community college's counselor, which they have already suggested that I drop the chemistry course as long as CSULB says it is okay.
At this point, it is a back and forth conversation and I am wondering if there was anyone in a similar situation as me who could help me. I have more than 60 transferable units so I won't be short on units if I end up dropping this course and this class is not a required course for my major.

Please help! The last day to withdraw from this course is coming up very soon!

Replies to: Question on dropping a course after admittance

• RichardBIVRichardBIV Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    @leovard I would go and talk to admissions in person, but since the course has nothing to do with your major then I don’t see it an issue. Then, you were conditionally accepted which is different... Can you at least pull a C as an alternative?

I would really recommend again to go in-person to CSULB about this.

Just don’t take everything very serious there and maybe talk to different advisors. My admissions person told me that my acceptance might be affected if I decide to drop my history class this semester (I’m not going to, I was just wondering), but that class is the history requirement for CSU, so it’s a little different.

Then the official acceptance email comes and tells me that the history class I am taking will not have any effect on my admission status, but it is needed to graduate from CSU. The point is: talk to different advisors and makes sure that it will not affect your admission.