Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAT-November 2010

Replies to: SAT-November 2010

• FatumFatum Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    Is that an option you have to choose or is superscoring automatic??
    And should I retake...? aiming for ivies.
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Registered User Posts: 1,202 Member
    Superscoring is automatic.

@Fatum: What are your section scores?
    CR 780
    Ma 730
    Wr 650 ><
  • prjikiprjiki Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    @happysunny: I don't think superscore is automatic.

OP : there are two things that you should be aware of when sending SAT scores. I learned of this rather complicated system while applying early.

1. scorechoice: This is something that YOU do. You report to colleges only the highest section scores.

2. superscore: This is what COLLEGES do. They, not you, choose the highest section scores out of "all of your test scores". You are supposed to submit all of your scores.

As for score reporting, each college has its own SAT score-use policy. Some superscore, some review all scores and do not superscore, some allow scorechoice, some consider the highest single sitting only, etc, which means that you need to check on individual college. This page may help too: http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat-score-use-practices-list.pdf
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Registered User Posts: 1,202 Member
    I don't think you are allowed to send only the highest section scores. All three section scores will be sent whenever you pick a date.
  • ViggyRamViggyRam - Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    Scores came out yesterday?
    Yup Viggy.
    And I really need some advice..I'm pretty sure I can improve my writing score if I take it again (my WR score has always been in the 700s on practice tests), and I may be able to improve my math mark too (altho there might inevitably be a little mistake here or there..might be the same mark). So..2160 vs. 2200, does it make a difference?
    BTW the percentile is only for students who took it in Canada right? or everyone?
    ^I'm not sure if you are asking me for advice, but I'm go ahead.

First, I don't think the percentile is only for Canadian students, but I may be wrong.

For Writing, go over Sparksnotes 7 Deadliest Screwups and just take practice tests. It's really as simply as that. Do not stress out because that won't allow you to think clearly. As for Math, I also make silly errors (made one on my SAT in October), so the best thing to do is try to be as careful as possible, but this does not mean working really slow.

I don't think 2160 v. 2200 is a big deal. I agree that 2200 looks much better, but I don't think a decision would be made between 2160 v. 2200. 2160 v. 2250? Then yea, there is definitely a difference.

However, 2160 is probably low for Ivys. However, great ECs could make up for that. I'm just a high school student though, so obviously I don't know a whole lot about what they look for in the admissions offices.
  • NosikeNosike Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    November Scores:

Math II - 800
    Chemistry - 730

October Scores:

Math - 730
    Critical Reading - 740
    Writing - 690
    ^Nice Nosike! Solid SAT IIs this month. Did you use Barron's for Math II? I know your in IB so you probably learn much more than I do, but I'm using Barron's. If you did use Barron's could you provide some info. (how much easier, how much higher did you score on the real one, what you think the pt. diff is between real and barron's, etc.)

Thanks!

Oh, and what did you use for Chem? (i'm taking in January)
  • NosikeNosike Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    ^^^ Used Kaplan for both actually, it's really comprehensive :)

When I took the practice tests on Kaplan I got:

Math II: 790
    Chem: 710

So they were slightly harder than the real thing in my opinion. I only studied for 2 or 3 days in total lol.
    ^OK. I don't have IB, so I haven't learned a lot of the math in Barron's. So, I've studied for a couple of weeks.

Would you recommend Kaplan for Chem? Is it really easy to understand and straightforward in explanations because I find Barron's to be confusing at times.
  • StarsAlignedStarsAligned Registered User Posts: 464 Member
    Alright so I retook SAT I..
    My composite dropped 50 points D:
    I screwed up CR and W, but at least I got a perfect math score!
    So thanks to superscoring from my last test, I now have 2310.

Time to focus on other things now!
    Good job and good luck everyone :)
  • fledglingfledgling - Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    ^ Congrats StarsAligned! :D

As for my SAT II results from November, here they are:

800 Chinese with Listening (I'm a native, so this was pretty much expected)
    750 Literature
    790 Math Level II

I'd highly recommend you guys to check out schoolisfun's Math II Guide, which he posted in the SAT II forum. That was literally the ONLY thing I read before the test and I ended up with a 790.
This discussion has been closed.