Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do we need "sponsors" in the US?!

FatumFatum Registered User Posts: 876 Member
edited November 2010 in Canada
So when I told my teacher about my US uni plans, he asked me if I had relatives in the US. He then said that I needed a sponsor there who would present his/her financial statements..etc. IS THIS TRUE? Anyone know anything about this??
Post edited by Fatum on

Replies to: Do we need "sponsors" in the US?!

  • benelibeneli Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    You will need to get a student visa F-1 and show it as well as a certificate of finance (proof that you or your family have the means to pay for tuition, are receiving FA or a combination of the two in order to cover your expenses while in the US). Your sponsor (i.e. parents) need not live in the US.

    From the State Department's website :

    Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

    Student Visas
  • FatumFatum Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    Thanks Beneli, that would be AFTER you receive your fin. aid offer, correct? I do not need to worry about this now right?
  • benelibeneli Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    Yes, after FA, probably want to work on your certificate at the same time as you apply for visa as you will need to have a letter of admission for either. At any rate, you need your visa and certificate when you first head down to school, so make sure you get it done in time (it could be a long process as you have to go through all the diplomatic paperwork and all). I would start as working on it as soon as you accept an offer of admission.
This discussion has been closed.