Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any Canadians out there applying to Brown PLME?

13»

Replies to: Any Canadians out there applying to Brown PLME?

• ViggyRamViggyRam - Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    ^Yea, I knew that for a while. It sucks but it has motivated me to try hard on my essays.

How long are your PLME essays? I have no idea how long is ideal because they haven't specified a length. I'm at 1000 words for the Why Med + Why PLME and 670 words for the other one and I'm relatively happy with both so I don't foresee any drastic changes.
  • RainbowSprinklesRainbowSprinkles Registered User Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
    ... o_o 1,000 words is a lot. I think mine will be around/under 400-500 words, but I tend to write concise essays that are full of meaning (though I rant on CC hehe).

You say what you need to say, and I will do the same for my essays.

I would laugh if not a single international got into PLME. It's ridiculous how Alpert only has 2% international. If I get into PLME, though, I will be ECSTATIC.
    2% international isn't even bad considering that a lot of American medical schools don't even accept Canadians. And PLME isn't the same as taking the traditional route so I wouldn't put much weight into the 2% thing. I think PLME is a whole different ball game.
  • RainbowSprinklesRainbowSprinkles Registered User Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
    Yeah, that's true. It's really too bad! I think it's more of a lost for the schools than for the students, though.

PLME is definitely a different ball game. It's strange to me that they accept about 100 people, but only about 50 are actually matriculated. I really love the program and I love Brown itself, so I hope I get in, though I know it's not very realistic for such a competitive program.

Did you apply to any other BSC/MD programs like Northwestern HPME? I didn't. Brown PLME is my one and only!
    ^Nope haven't applied to Northwestern HPME.

And the reason that a lot don't matriculate is that those students are probably cross-admits at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UPitt BS-MD, Northwestern HMPE, and maybe even USC BS-MD. If you go to mdapplicants.com and search the profiles for students that graduate at HYP, etc. you will see that they have ridiculously high MCATs and end up at amazing med schools regardless. So, those students might see Brown PLME as 'trading down'.

It all depends on the persons perspective. (If you look at the RD PLME acceptances, a lot don't matriculate; most of the PLME'ers come from ED...%-wise)
13»
This discussion has been closed.