Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance for US schools?

LeftyyLeftyy Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
edited September 2012 in Canada
Hey everyone! I'm a grade 12 student from Canada, just considering whether or not I should apply to any US schools.

Please chance for the following:
Any Ivies
Georgetown
Northwestern
JHU
Boston University
Duke
UChicago
UMichigan

My overall avg from grades 9-11 is 92%. I know it's pretty low but that's REALLY hard to get at my school (it's actually insane, I've talked to people from all across Canada & they have 95+ avgs just from doing homework... so unfair!). It's a very competitive public school & I'm taking the most difficult classes offered. APs are only offered in gr 12 & we only have 4 of them (I'm taking all 4 & thinking of self-studying one this year.) I want to study biochem & then medicine.

SAT: haven't written it yet, but predicted is around 2200 :/
Race: South Asian (Indian)

EXTRACURRICULARS:
Library volunteer (9) - organized an art show/sale for local artists, children's section stuff
Hospital volunteer (10-present) - working with patients, visitors, training new volunteers
Teaching language class at place of worship (10-present) - set curriculum
President of school's international issues club (10-present) - organize events, fundraisers (lots of leadership involved in this, also dealing with administration... ugh lol)
Founded a club that aims to educate youth, raise funds & awareness for cancer (supports a larger community organization; 11-present); part of a larger youth network in the community - different schools have the clubs & we organize events independently... again lots of leadership involved
Started coat/can drives for local homeless shelter (10-11); working with an international UN-affiliated NPO
Sit on Mayor's Youth Advisory Committee (recently acquired position)
Founded a local youth volunteer network (11) - joins students with volunteer opportunities, has blog posts about issues that affect youth in the community & global issues as well
Volunteer at random school events (9-present)
Volunteered with a group in India this summer at a school for disabled children - teaching/playing with kids, school grounds maintenance & building a playground (SUCH a great experience)
Currently working on organizing a book drive that involves my entire school board... wonder how it will go! hopefully really well... I've spoken to the director of education & he supports it so... *fingers crossed*
Also currently part of the planning committee for Canadian Cancer Society's provincial leadership conference. I'm the youth rep, in charge of organizing the youth workshop (materials, speakers, etc)

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input. If there's anything I've missed I will add it on later.
Post edited by Leftyy on

Replies to: Chance for US schools?

This discussion has been closed.