Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I can't get into the courses I need to graduate next year!

vanizorcvanizorc Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
edited July 2013 in Canada
I needed to enrol into 2 fourth-year seminar classes in order to graduate for next summer, but when I when class registration started this morning, all of the fourth year courses were already full and I couldn't enrol into any of them. I need to get into the courses to graduate, or else I'll have to extend my university career another year.

What do I do?!

(I'm at the University of Toronto, if that's relevant.)
Post edited by vanizorc on

Replies to: I can't get into the courses I need to graduate next year!

• DontPanic1DontPanic1 Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    My son is in a similar predicament. He said that if a required class is full, and therefore holding up graduation (his is December), then your advisor will get you in. It is now 2:39 pm on July 18 and he still has not talked to his advisor about it.
  • vanizorcvanizorc Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Thanks for your input! I'll book an appoinment with my academic advisor to see if anything can be done about this. It's ridiculous -- there's only around ~20 spaces in each of these 4th-year seminar courses.

The issue is though, I'm not sure if my situation will be the same as your son's, because U of T has a HUGE student body -- even if I need the courses to graduate next year, the academic advisor might still not be able to grant so many similar requests from students in my same predicament.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 12,209 Senior Member
    There has always been a policy at U of T that you will be able to fulfill your required courses for graduation. You should be speaking to your academic advisor. It's pretty early to worry about this, as course enrollment tends to shift as the process unfolds. Did you attempt do your course selection as soon as enrollment opened for you? One thing you should be aware of is that you may not get the exact courses you want but that you'll have courses made available to you that will fulfill your requirements.
  • NamelesStatisticNamelesStatistic Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    You need to invoke the Dena's promise. At uoft you are guaranteed a spot in a course you need to graduate. The deadline for this is Aug 17 I believe.

Instructions for Graduating Students ? Current Students
    Never knew of that policy before -- thanks folks! And thanks for the deadline date of Aug. 17th, as I'm currently working full-time and otherwise would have waited until the start of September to meet with an advisor (because I can't take days off). I'll tell my boss this is an amergency and I'll mention the Dean's Promise at the appointment. Sounds good.
    And yes, I did enroll into all my courses at the exact time the regristration period for students of my year started. The fourth-year courses were all full even when I tried to sign up for them first chance I got.
This discussion has been closed.