Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I'm screwed?

Oppo707Oppo707 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm in the summer break, and it's the dreaded break for all 'normal' students. I'm going to high-school in September. For the reason I'm posting this, is because I live in Canada, my academic choices are slightly more limited than the United State's system. Unfortunately for me, I was not well rounded enough in the 7th grade to apply for the International Baccalaureate program, my school is famous for. The school, also I'm quite sure does not offer AP courses either. I don't want to live my academic life as a 'normal' student and face the consequences- A community college. What can I do? Are the AP and IB the only choices I have? And is it that hard to take AP out of the school?

Replies to: I'm screwed?

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 20,669 Forum Champion
    Talk to your guidance counselor about what type of schools you could get to from the track you are on. There are TONS of amazing colleges and universities out there, many of which "normal" students qualify to attend.
  • BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 312 Member
    The AP/IB arms race has unfortunately overtaken the highly selective college admissions universe, but most kids applying to most schools do not have a laundry list of such courses and do fine to great in life. I know you are in Canada, which is slightly different, but to take the US example, too many on this forum seem to believe that success in life is dependent on attending #18 versus #31 on a rankings list, or #8 versus #12--Lord forbid you consider attending your state public flagship which is ranked #127 or such. This ignores the fact that the top tier at any of these flagships have resumes equal to the highly selective college matriculants, and graduate from their flagship with top grades, no debt, and then attend the best graduate schools.

I agree with above response--go talk to your counselor, for no other reason than to inform him/her that you are interested in as competitive a college as you can manage, and for help burnishing your resume to make that work.

• BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 312 Member
    edited August 2017
    Also, be aware that once you have a year or more of college under your belt, no one in your life will ever care what your GPA or curriculum was like in high school. Ever. There are few things more pathetic than a college-age student's resume that lists being in honor society and math Olympiad in high school.
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,123 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    You will be perfectly fine in taking regular academic level classes at your high school. My son graduated high school in 2014 with no IB and no APs and is attending University of Toronto and doing very well. My daughter graduated high school in 2016 with one AP and is attending University of Waterloo in a very selective program and is also doing very well.

The Canadian system of university admissions is very different from the US system. Don't listen to people like BooBooBear. I recommend you look at the subreddits for universities you are interested in.

p.s. You are NOT screwed. Canadian universities mainly look at grade 12 marks and grade 11 marks, if they are high. Don't worry. Just do your best.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    edited August 2017
    @bouders I believe that the OP may be looking to apply to elite US universities. Hence his dissatisfaction with the Canadian system.
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,123 Senior Member
    @TomSrOfBoston The OP does not state that he is interested in US universities.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Registered User Posts: 11,978 Senior Member
    Even if he is looking at 'elite US universities, he will not be shut out of such schools solely for lacking IB or AP classes. He's what, 14? Much too early to be worrying about such things unnecessarily.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 6,517 Senior Member
    The consequences for being "normal" are not limited to "Community College."

• acomfysofaacomfysofa Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    edited August 2017
    @alwaysamom Hopefully that's the case! I don't have IB courses even though they were offered, but I have everything else up-to-par at those universities. Though now that I think about it, those universities would have to consider my Extracurriculars and essays to be spectacular for them to prefer me with normal courses over a different student with IB courses (as course rigor is apparently very important).

I didn't take IB courses when I was offered it since my local Canadian universities didn't differentiate between normal courses and IB courses in terms of admissions and even scholarships (as least, according to what my GC and parents told me). For example, a student with a 95% average in normal courses would have a much better chance at getting better scholarships than a student with an 85% average in IB courses. For a lower income family like mines, the more stable route to get those scholarships made more sense at the time.
This discussion has been closed.