Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Should I study Graphic Design in a Canadian Art School?

JustTravellingJustTravelling Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello everyone, I am currently a US high school student preparing for junior year next September. I've looked for art schools that I am interested in applying for, but seeing how expensive art schools are in the US, I looked at art schools in Canada as well. I've noticed that they're significantly cheaper than their US counterparts, but, should I look into studying board in Canada? Do you recommend going to a Canadian art school? I'm interesting on how it's like.

Replies to: Should I study Graphic Design in a Canadian Art School?

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,155 Senior Member
    Since you haven't had any replies I figured that I could at least tell you what I know. I am not familiar with art or design schools. We have however looked at universities, big ones and small ones, in both the US and Canada. We live in the US and specifically in New England, but I have relatives in Canada and I am about to have a daughter studying in university in Canada (as well as one studying in the US).

Generally the universities that we have visited in Canada are not all that different from the ones that we visited in the US. The main differences that I noticed were price, and the fact that admissions in Canada is more transparent. There are quite a few very good universities in both countries, including quite a few very good ones in Canada. The schools in Canada are generally quite a bit less expensive than US schools particularly if you avoid the "big 3" (McGill, Toronto, and UBC -- because these schools are so well known they seem to be able to charge more for international students). We have found the admissions staff and other people that we have dealt with at the universities in Canada to be very pleasant and helpful.

I have heard that Concordia University in Montreal has a good studio art program. We checked out Bishop's University (a small university in Lennoxville Quebec) and liked it a lot. We did not consider the fine art program there but I see that it has one. You will not need to know any French at all for these two schools in Quebec but if you do speak a little bit it will enhance your experience living in Quebec for four years (and I will note that both schools have very good language programs, as you might expect for an English university in a French province).

I have heard that there is an Ontario College of Art and Design in Toronto, and a Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in Halifax, but I don't know anything about them.

IMHO it is not a good idea to go into debt for a degree in studio art. I also think that it will be worth taking a look at the schools in Canada, although of course there are many things to take into consideration in choosing a school. Good luck with your search!
This discussion has been closed.