Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

help a canadian out

uraveragehssophuraveragehssoph Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
hi, so I went to a california high school for freshmen and sophomore year, then moved to ontario canada. Im thinking about going to a california community college the transferring to a UC since i'd save money. My dad lives in the states, just not california and i live with my mom in canada. I have dual citizenship

1. can i apply for both osap and fafsa? will i get a lower amount if i apply for both?

2. will i be considered international or out of state? some CCCs require a literacy test or something, but would i have to take this even though ive lived in america up until junior year?

3. most CCCs dont require california residents to submit SAT scores, but would i have to? of course im going to call and make sure but until then id like to see what you all say.

Replies to: help a canadian out

  • CValleCValle Registered User Posts: 857 Member
    You don't mention what citizenship you have?
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 741 Member
    Person said they have dual citizenship. I'd assume Canadian and US.
  • uraveragehssophuraveragehssoph Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    @CValle US and canadian
  • Proudmama2Proudmama2 Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    You will be considered out of state, not international and will be able to complete the FAFSA
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,517 Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    The residency rules indicate that you need to have attended a California high school for 3 years to try to get in-state rates. Also, you have to be a continuous resident. Your residency, if you are under age 24 is where you and your parent currently live.

    Right now, you are considered an OOS student. You can fill out the FAFSA form.
    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that you fill out to see if you will qualify for federal assistance: federal loans and limited PELL grants.
    For a federal loan, there is a maximum that you can take:
    $5500 for Freshman year, $6500 for Sophomore Year, $7500 for Jr. and Sr Year.
    Pell Grants are just under $6000 per year.

    You still would have to pay full fees at both the community colleges and then at the UC's.
    The Federal aid won't make a dent in the UC fees of $60K per year since the major funding, for state residents, comes from the State of California, not the Federal government.

    So, you can see, this money will not cover your fees at the CC, nor at at UC. The living expenses alone would wipe out your funding. Sorry :(
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,141 Senior Member
    If you go to the us to study, go to the state where your father is a resident. Not California, which will be unaffordable.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,698 Senior Member
    You will be out of state for California, which means that the UC's would cost you over $60k per year. In contract, anything in Canada, expressed in US dollars, would be under $20k per year. There are quite a few very good universities in the U.California system and also quite a few very good universities in Canada.

    If you want to save money this is probably a no-brainer (unless you can get a *great* scholarship somewhere in the US).
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 24,570 Forum Champion
    I would also like add more information regarding UC tuition. The UC Regents are currently meeting right now and are proposing another 3% increase in OOS UC tuition.
This discussion has been closed.