Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
2»

Replies to: Mit

• starbrightstarbright Registered User Posts: 4,660 Senior Member
    No it is probably not worth the shot. You could go to Waterloo and be just as successful and save your parents a ton of money. Then again your parents probably created this monster.
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Registered User Posts: 1,202 Member
    Then again your parents probably created this monster.
    My parents are never involved in my decisions. They are not the stereotypical Asian parents.
    ^ Sorry Happysunshine, I apologize if you feel I was targetting you (not my intention-- it was more a response about a lot of canadian kids fixation on US schools). So I wasn't necessarily referring to you in particular (nor had any idea what your ethnic background was!).

My point wasn't about being involved directly in decisions. As any good parents know, influence starts at birth, and our children are socialized such that they more often than not pick up our beliefs, and values...and surely these are your parents' values or they would not be willing to fork over $200,000 for a simple undergrad degree that could be gotten for $50,000 in Canada. This isn't like asking your folks for a brand of jeans. So if your parents are not involved, I implore you to make sure they are. Find out how much they are able and willing to spend on your education and by what criteria (since I think few canadian students can possibly do it on their own).
  • nirvanatearnirvanatear Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    Actually, starbright, I can't help but notice your attitude toward Canadian kids going to American schools. I completely agree with you - an Ivy education may be slightly better than a Canadian flagship one, but definitely not worth the $50k price tag.

I also noticed that you mentioned the "values" children pick up from their parents. I implore you to understand that these values don't necessarily belong to our parents' but to our society. The American upper middle class is an utterly elitist-wannabe bunch, and the most convenient way, or the American dream way, to achieve this is through sending their children to an elitist undergrad college. Canada, through its unique history, did not develop this type of elitism, and so Canadian universities remained public, accessible, and cheap.

That being said, some Canadian students embrace the (arguably delusional) American value more than the Canadian one, and they would value their elitist education to be worth $50k. Not necessarily so. The only reason I want an ivy degree is because I plan to go into finance right after graduation,which requires me to go to a "target school". For those who will go into a prestige-insensitive field, such as engineering, reflect on your value system twice before committing =]
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Registered User Posts: 1,202 Member
    Find out how much they are able and willing to spend on your education and by what criteria (since I think few canadian students can possibly do it on their own).
    I will only apply to American colleges that will give me a full ride if I get in. Otherwise I will be happy attending a Canadian university.
    That being said, some Canadian students embrace the (arguably delusional) American value more than the Canadian one, and they would value their elitist education to be worth $50k. Not necessarily so. The only reason I want an ivy degree is because I plan to go into finance right after graduation,which requires me to go to a "target school". For those who will go into a prestige-insensitive field, such as engineering, reflect on your value system twice before committing =]

Thanks for your thoughts but on this last part, I beg to differ. This is another myth. I'm a business school prof., trust me on this.
  • Mustafah78Mustafah78 Registered User Posts: 479 Member
    ^ On the other hand, if you know you want to go into investment banking straight out of college, it might be worth it to pay $50k/year to go to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, or Wharton. In fact, that $50k price tag is misleading because only a small number of super-rich students end up paying that amount, thanks to generous financial aid.
  • MimuTHMimuTH Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    i heard this year MIT did not accept some Briton(asian) who was an IMO gold medalist..
    i mean, what do they want we are only sixteen for god sake

it is just so hard to look as if you are being differentiated in canadian universities. not cared at all. cabs drivers went to UBC and UT here in Vancouver!

i do not know... if having the opportunity to choose where to be born, i dont think i would pick canada.... it could be the place i want to die though

well 50k is just a price tag. had you stayed in canada you would just spend it on something else. i know it trust me... i keep gettin bankrupt even after a 300% increase in my allowance =(
2»
This discussion has been closed.