Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Registered User Posts: 1,202 Member
edited April 2010 in Canada
How many people were accepted into MIT this year? What about last year?
Post edited by happysunnyshine on

Replies to: Mit

• ElectronicaElectronica Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    A girl from my school with a 2400 SAT and a superb GPA (4.0, 96%) was rejected.
  • happysunnyshinehappysunnyshine Registered User Posts: 1,202 Member
    Is she from a very competitive school?
    As with all schools in the area we have about 10 to 15 kids per grade who score 97% to 100% on the provincial exams (B.C.) each semester.

So sure, the school's competitive but there really isn't any grade deflation if that's what you're asking.

There aren't that many kids who even apply to American colleges at our school.

Another crazy smart kid was rejected last year by every American school he applied to (MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Princeton, others). He ended up at UBC.
  • nirvanatearnirvanatear Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    MIT accepts 15 people from Canada every year, most of whom went to international olympiads and other competitions.

I'm pretty sure MIT is the most competitive american school for a Canadian applicant...Because unlike some top ivies who have a separate quota for Canada, we're in the international pool competing with super-achievers from other continents. This pool has an acceptance rate of 3%...
  • alam1alam1 Registered User Posts: 1,065 Senior Member
    yup MIT has a 3-4% International acceptance rate and it would be lower for Canadians since a good student from like Senegal would have a higher chance than a good student from Canada.... since they want more diversity. All in all, I would say the Canadian acceptance rate is around 2%... you better have 2200+(preferebly 2300+) national/ international medals, 95+ average, Full IB courses... to be taken seriously.
  • darks0ulzdarks0ulz Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    My interviewer said it's usually less than 10 Canadians. 6 were accepted for the class of 2013.
    Anyway I will try.
    So far I've only heard of IMO. But what about other International Olympiads? What are the qualifying exams? I've just found out that we do have a Canadian Biology Olympiad because our school doesn't offer the exam at all. But we have National Biology Competition and I don't know whether it is a qualifying exam.
    Do they (both MIT and the coordinators of the Olympiads teams) only pick students from the competitive private schools?
    I personally know a few people who got in MIT, none did it WITHOUT an international olympiad... There have also been a few Canadian IMO silver medalists rejected by MIT. That is the threshold you're looking at.
    I'm not bragging here... I got in HYP and Columbia, but was straight out rejected by MIT, and that is not at all surprising.
    What kind of international olympiad? Math?
    There's a kid at a nearby school who was a USAMO finalist... that's the kind if student who gets into MIT from Canada.
    Ok. It's better to know the reality.
    Typo in last post: "Type if (of) kid". Fail.

Even if you're really a great student I'd just try for HYP and leave MIT alone.
  • ViggyRamViggyRam - Posts: 2,216 Senior Member
    ^it's worth a shot isn't it though? I mean, I don'tplan on applying to MIT, but others who are going to be applying to top schools might as well add MIT to the list (if money is not an issue). It's worth a shot i guess.
    ehh...I actually don't think it's worth a shot if you don't have the aforementioned credentials...For other schools, you can make up for the lack of them by amazing essays/recs. MIT doesn't even have a long essay.
  • pigs_at_seapigs_at_sea - Posts: 2,899 Senior Member
    well, it's probably alot harder to get in from Canada
This discussion has been closed.