right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Becoming a lawyer in both the US and Canada?

buffalony4buffalony4 0 replies1 threads New Member
edited April 2010 in Canada
I am one day interested in becoming a lawyer, but since I live in the US, I would want to get my J.D. at an American college. I would then take and hopefully pass the NY bar exam, and get my permit to practice in New York. I was wondering, what would you have to do to move to Canada and become a lawyer there, in Toronto specifically? I understand you would have to pass the Ontario bar exam, but would I have to take any courses in Canadian law?
Thank you so much!
edited April 2010
1 replies
Post edited by buffalony4 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Becoming a lawyer in both the US and Canada?

  • alwaysamomalwaysamom 12281 replies217 threads Senior Member
    You'd have to go through the NCA process. You'll be assessed to see how many exams and what coursework will be required. When you meet those requirements, you would then be eligible to write the Ontario bar exam. In order to practice in Canada, you need to article for a year with a Canadian firm. Securing articles is usually the most difficult part of the process. And then, of course, there are the immigration issues to think about.

    FLSC - Joining Canada's legal community
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity