Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does anyone know how the sports medicine field is

BattleForLABattleForLA . Posts: 204 Junior Member
edited December 2013 in Careers in Medicine
If one were to go to med school
Post edited by BattleForLA on

Replies to: Does anyone know how the sports medicine field is

• i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,252 Forum Champion
    You do not pick your medical specialty until the end of 3rd year. That being said, "sports medicine" is a broad field with different types/paths (see post 6: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1576285-pre-med-major-athletic-training-vs-biology.html#post16568500)

Which one are you referring to?
  • BattleForLABattleForLA . Posts: 204 Junior Member
    I pretty much want to be a team doctor. Or do medical research for a league.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,864 Senior Member
    Team orthopedic surgeon? Team rehab doc? Team neurologist? Standby EM doc on sidelines in case of serious or critcal injury?

All of those are team doctors. Sports leagues generally don't sponsor medical research.
  • BattleForLABattleForLA . Posts: 204 Junior Member
    I guess I have some research to do. But in general do you guys know how the career prospects are?
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,252 Forum Champion
    The people doing the NFL concussion research for example are not employed by the NFL. They are generally employed by universities and the NFL funds the research. Then of course there are equipment companies that have their own scientists or again contract with university professors. Those people are usually PhDs though.

Professional team physician specifically has a poor outlook. There are what, ~100-150 professional sports teams in the country? They certainly don't have much turnover and they only take the absolute best/most renowned. They also are usually not full time employed by the team and also maintain a hospital affiliation/practice on the side.

Career prospects as a physician in general are good though.
This discussion has been closed.