Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ophthalmology as a career?

2»

Replies to: Ophthalmology as a career?

• CodenameMonocleCodenameMonocle Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    @TheBruceWayne I'm sorry that I couldn't respond, but yes I did get what you said.
    @mjscal I do understand a bit of both ophthalmology and optometry. I have shadowed an optometrist during the summer, and most of the time (at least where I live) she saw clients for routine eye checks. It isn't often that they get something other than a "check-up". I am very interested in the medical field and was just looking to see what possibilities there are. I understand that over time my interests may or may not change, but I am just asking questions and nothing is set in stone. And yes, I'm trying to shadow an ophthalmologist in the future.
    @MiamiDAP I will agree with you that I am in no position to pick any occupation. However, as I've said above, I'm just looking to see what I could be.

Anyways, I also have a question regarding credit. By the end of senior year, I'll have about 57 credits that I can transfer to any public college (in Texas), meaning I'll be able to "skip" freshman and sophomore year and graduate two years earlier. However, if I get accepted into UTD Pact, there is a very low chance that any of my math and science credits will transfer. Basically, I'll have to spend seven years if I go the UTD Pact route and about six years if I don't go to Pact (only including college and med school, no residency). Also, Pact only requires you to take a practice MCAT and will let you continue to UT Southwestern (only if you meet their academic standards, of course). In terms of credit, is it really worth it to take/not take that extra year?

• MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    Optometrist is NOT an MD. Optometrist did not graduate from a medical school. They graduate from Optometry schools, which I heard may be more competitive to get accepted than medical schools. I do not think that optometrist can perform a surgical procedures (I am not 100% sure though, maybe they can). I also do not think that somebody with diabetes who go to check the eyes on the regular basis and whose claims are submitted to the Medical insurance, not Vision insurance, I do not think that such a patient go to Optometrist, they go to Ophthalmologist, the person with the MD attached to his name. I do not believe that the Optometrist can submit a medical claim to the Medical insurance, I believe that they can submit a claim only to Vision insurance.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,357 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    As I said, an optometrist is a vision-care professional. The degree is OD, doctor of optometry. It requires four years of post-graduate study at a school of optometry. An ophthalmologist is an eye surgeon. The degree is MD. It requires four years of post-grad study at a medical school, followed by a one-year internship and three years of surgical residency in ophthalmology.
2»
This discussion has been closed.