Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Which healthcare career field is right for me?

lrnprclllrnprcll Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Careers in Medicine
I'm a rising senior trying to figure out which healthcare field is right for me...

When I'm older, I hope to be married and have a few children. I want a lifestyle that gives me enough time to spend with my family. I don't want an EXTREMELY stressful lifestyle----but I CAN handle a certain amount of stress, which I know is inevitable with a lot of jobs.

I'm trying to decide between these 5 career fields: family physician, general dentist, pharmacist, physician assistant, and nutritionist.

Family physician- This is probably my top choice as of now...but I'm starting to wonder how strenuous the lifestyle of general practitioners generally are? I am concerned about being able to balance being a GP and a great mom/husband? But I know I would LOVE being a family physician...

Physician Assistant- Less hours, not on call, more relaxed lifestyle, less schooling... I would essentially be doing the same things as a family physician- except the physician would have more responsibility and be in charge. I wonder if being a PA would be as fulfilling though---because I know I have what it takes in me to be a great physician... I wonder if I'll regret not pursuing my ''dream'' career...

Then, pharmacy & dentistry still have less stress, less hours, and still bring home a good paycheck. The lifestyles of those are a little bit less demanding than a physician, yet they still work with people.

And, being a nutritionist would be really rewarding. But I'm worried about job prospects and they are paid significantly less than any of the above careers.

Ahhh... I'm sooooooo confused. Any insights of any of the career choices above would be very helpful..Thanks!!
Post edited by lrnprcll on

Replies to: Which healthcare career field is right for me?

This discussion has been closed.