Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can you switch residencies? or do more than 1?

SHS_SpartanSHS_Spartan Registered User Posts: 943 Member
edited July 2007 in Careers in Medicine
For example, if you wanted to be a pediatrician for the longest time and you get a residency in it, BUT you end up hating it a year or two in, can you switch to a different one?

OR

Can you finish a residency in pediatrics but decide you want to be an ER doc and can you pursue a residency in Emergency Medicine?

Thanks.
Post edited by SHS_Spartan on

Replies to: Can you switch residencies? or do more than 1?

• BigredmedBigredmed Registered User Posts: 3,746 Senior Member
    Either scenario is possible.

For example, if you remember the very beginning of the tv show ER, Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) had been a surgery intern, but then switched to EM.

You do have to go through the Match again though in order to accomplish this switch.

Also you don't have to put residency and fellowships back to back. The girl I'm currently dating has recently been thinking about doing her internal medicine residency, being a hospitalist once done, and then when she gets bored going back to do her nephrology fellowship (she loves kidneys...I think she's crazy but I like her anyways).

I know a family medicine doctor who was in practice for 20 years in a small town, moved to my town of current residence and went through a geriatrics fellowship, and is now doing geriatric medicine full time at my medical center.
  • SHS_SpartanSHS_Spartan Registered User Posts: 943 Member
    Oh...that makes sense. Thanks a lot!
  • aphoticmelodyaphoticmelody Registered User Posts: 468 Member
    Also, starting in your third year of med school you'll do clinical rotations in different areas of medicine, to get exposure.
This discussion has been closed.