Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Where are the grads headed?

legacy_dallaslegacy_dallas Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
edited December 2009 in Carleton College
I was just wondering where students land after Carleton....I know Carleton has some list of graduates on their websites, but those are just very few examples. Does anyone have stats or a website where I can find some? Like some data for pre-Law students, like where they landed after Carleton?

Thanks.
Post edited by legacy_dallas on

Replies to: Where are the grads headed?

• use a toothbrushuse a toothbrush Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Since there isn't really any formal pre-law program, I don't think any office at Carleton tracks where those with law school ambitions end up, as far as your specific example goes. Individual departments often keep tabs on where their grads end up, but you can't count on this for a given department. End-of-the-year issues of departmental newsletters sometimes provide this information about their graduating majors if you feel like digging around the departmental websites (for math, for example: http://apps.carleton.edu/curricular/mathcs/assets/06GG_05_26.pdf). The Career Center does collect information from outgoing seniors about where they will work or go to grad school, but that information is not released in any kind of report that students or the general public can view. The Career Center has an enormous binder listing the grad schools of pretty much every alum as far back as you would ever need, and it's sorted by grad school, so if you go there, you can get a rough idea of which schools are popular among Carleton grads and which aren't. The Ivy League and big state research schools are all well-represented, if that matters. Americanski (who posts here) is a Carleton '05 grad at Columbia Law School so he could probably give you a better idea of the law schools Carls end up at. I think there are two girls headed to Harvard Law this year and probably several more to other top law programs, though I should mention that law school isn't that popular of an option among Carleton students.
  • AmericanskiAmericanski Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    Carleton doesn't send a lot of people to law school. I only know a few others from my year who went. One is at GW, one is at Marquette, one is at Yale, one is at Cornell, one is at NYU and another is here at Columbia with me. Going to Carleton isn't going to hurt you for any law schools, especially since where you go for undergrad doesn't matter a whole lot in the admisisons process.

We send a lot of people to graduate school. It's probably one of the most popular choices. I know two at UW-Madison (math and physics), one at UC-Boulder (history), several at Berkeley (history, bio, math and chem), one at Stanford (bio) and one at Yale (econ). I also know one person who went to med school, but I don't remember where.

Outside of grad school, which again is a popular choice, we have people go into the same sorts of things other college grads do. We've had a bunch do Teach for America and the JET program, or teaching abroad through some other program. We also seem to send quite a few people to financial analysis/consulting firms, which was a little suprising to me given how hippie-ish the student body is. We also have some people who sort of wander around for a little while and a few who stay in Northfield working for Carleton.
  • littlelittle Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    What is the best job on-campus during winter break? I mean I am allowed to study during working hours.
  • binglebingle Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    Last spring in response to a similar post I did a quick search from the class of 2000 and found 26 attorneys (~5% of the class). I can't speak to what law schools they attended, but they majored in a wide variety of departments:
    geo/env and tech studies
    2 polysci/env
    psych/french
    econ
    poly sci/e.asian
    4 poly sci
    phil/env
    math/educ
    5 econ
    dance/english
    bio/poly sci
    soc-anthro
    2 psych
    bio
    english
    history

I graduated in '78 and my class has ~40 out of 450 classmates working as attorneys. My recollection is that quite a number of folks ended up at law school several years out
  • HonestDescendentHonestDescendent Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    My daughter worked at the museum in the performing arts building as a gate-keeper and said she had plenty of time to study.
  • inthewingsinthewings Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    This is more anecdotal than statistical, but I think that my experience as part of a "Carleton family" speaks to the school's ability to put its graduates on the path to success in any number of fields. There are six of us (plus a Carleton spouse) in two generations! (My grandmother was also accepted, but her father wouldn't let her attend because he didn't know anyone in Northfield.)

- I (class of 2001) was an English major, went on to pursue a Masters in theater management at Yale, and I now run a non-profit theatre company
    - My younger sister (class of 2004) was an economics major who received her law degree from the University of Minnesota (in a class that included several other Carls)
    - My dad (class of 1969) was an economics major who went on to receive a Masters at Berkeley and a law degree from Harvard
    - My aunt (class of 1977) was an English major who received her MBA from Dartmouth and now works in banking
    - My cousin (class of 2000) is a political science major who now works in sports administration, and his wife (also class of 2000) works in hospital administration
    - My other cousin (class of 2003) was a Math major who received his PhD at U. Mich and is a tenure track assistant professor
  • lunitarilunitari Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    On a related note...there's a thread over on the Carleton Facebook page asking alums what they majored in and what they're doing today:

[url=http://www.****/CarletonCollege#/CarletonCollege?v=feed&story_fbid=202496445991]Carleton College Alumni, help our prospective students understand where a Carleton education can lead. What was your Carleton major, and what are you doing today? | Facebook[/url]
  • legacy_dallaslegacy_dallas Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi Carls,

I'm one of the graduates from a big state Univ., and now my S is at Carleton with a GPA 3.58. I wonder what kind of GPA is this at Carleton, top what %? With this kind of GPA, what is his chance to get into a good law school (top 15 or 20) if having a good LSAT? Thanks.
  • AmericanskiAmericanski Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    I wonder what kind of GPA is this at Carleton, top what %? With this kind of GPA, what is his chance to get into a good law school (top 15 or 20) if having a good LSAT?

As of five years ago, it was around top 25%, at least among law school applicants from Carleton. According to my LSAC score report from '04, the mean GPA was 3.32 and the distribution was:

4.0 and up: 0%

3.8-3.99: 6%

3.6-3.79: 17%

3.4-3.59: 22%

3.2-3.39: 22%

3.0-3.19: 16%

2.8-2.99: 8%

2.6-2.79: 7%

Below 2.6: 3%

This is from an old report that used even older data, so things may have changed. His chances at law school will depend very heavily on his LSAT score; Harvard, Yale and Stanford will be longshots with that GPA, but anywhere else is possible with a high enough score.
  • dietcokewithlimedietcokewithlime Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    About 50% of the class of 2008 graduated magna or summa cum laude, so I think the median is right around 3.5 for the most recent classes. 3.9 was roughly top 5% in 2008. I'd guess 3.58 is maybe like top 45% now?
  • mflevitymflevity Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    ^Dang. Really? An almost A- average only gets you in the top half?

*worries about difficult math class next term*
This discussion has been closed.