Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

A Green Chance Thread

OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
edited January 2010 in Carleton College
I decided to make my chance thread eco-friendly by making it shorter, thus wasting less of everyone's time and electricity. Otherwise, besides typing

KERMIT THE FROG

in it, there is really nothing else green about it.

Anyways.....

3.65 GPA. Period.

32 ACT/2100 SAT
(33 math, 32 english)
(670 CR/680 M/ 750 W)

4 AP's completed, 5 in process

APUSH- 4
APUSG- 4
AP Hum Geo- 5
AP World Hist.- 3
AP Micro
AP Macro
AP Calc AB
AP Psych
AP Env. Sci

I'd say good EC's, lots of commitment with involvement in most all of them for 3+ years.

A few random awards/quirks, nothing significant

I will not be applying for financial aid.
Post edited by OHKID on

Replies to: A Green Chance Thread

• mflevitymflevity Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    Your GPA needs more context. If you attend a well-known, rigorous high school where a 3.6=A-, you're fine. What is your class rank? If you don't know, can you estimate it?

Are you a male or an underrepresented minority?

A list of your ECs would be nice too.

A "chance me" thread is one of those things that can't be economized beyond a certain point, though I'm sure the "green" idea came from good intentions. :) Without answers to the above questions, you won't get much beyond what you already know, which is: ballpark test scores and curriculum; lowish GPA.

Good luck and come back with more info!
  • OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Okay, I'll provide more info.

I guess another ton or two of carbon monoxide won't make that big of a difference to the ozone ;)

GPA- 3.65 UW/W

Top 20% at school with less than 100 students
    Rural public school, 3.9 GPA required to break top 10%.

I've taken by far the most rigorous curriculum available at my school. Only about 5 people ranked higher than me have even taken such an advanced curriculum, and none ofthem have self-studied AP's like myself. I also have the highest PSAT score, SAT score, second highest ACT score (by 1 point), and highest AP scores of anyone in my school.

Extracurriculars/Honors

Cross-Country (4 yrs), Track (4 yrs), Academic Team (4 yrs), 4-H (4 yrs), Enviromental Challenge (3 yrs), NHS (3 yrs), Model UN (3 yrs), Student Council (3 yrs), JETS Engineering (3 yrs), Prom Committee (1 yr), Job (4 yrs), Student Aide (3 yrs).

200 hours of community service

Byckeye Boys State/Citizenship Award (actually is really selective)/ Homecoming Court/ AP Scholar/ State Competitor in most extracurriculars/ other generic awards/ etc.
    bump.........

I promise I won't bite
    (this time at least ;))
    bump......

Y'all can be brutal if you want. I'll even read **** posts :)
  • DroughtDrought Registered User Posts: 807 Member
    Carleton sounds like a reach for you, but not a big one. What you need to understand is this: you're a qualified candidate. Your stats won't blow them away, but your numbers aren't eyesores either. Your exact chances? Tough to determine. But you'll be competitive.
  • jack63jack63 Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    Actually, your stats were similar to mine, and I got in years ago.

I assume you're from Ohio. That will help. If you were applying from MN, I'd say you were a reach, but applying from Ohio I'd say you are closer to a match. Some on CC would argue with me, but applying for no financial aid will also probably significantly help.

A lot will depend on the essays. As an Alum from Carleton, I know for a fact that certain types of essays would kill an applicants chances in a second. They will like to see individualism in the essays....You're not applying to West Point. They would want to see that you are open to a curriculum which is truly liberal arts. They don't want to see you wanting to take all science or math course from day one. Don't write about the evils of alcohol, and how you want to lead the charge of prohibition at Carleton. Carleton is a wet campus and will stay that way.

If you stand out in Cross Country and Track and would want to pursue that at Carleton, that could help. It would be nice to have a teacher or advisor explain your tough curriculum in a letter of recommendation.
  • reesezpiecez103reesezpiecez103 Registered User Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    I think you sound like a competitive candidate; however, the one thing I thought I'd mention is that I doubt Carleton will be made aware that your SAT/ACTs are high compare to the rest of your class, since they look at those tests alone, not in comparison to your school.
    Actually, I wrote the school profile, so I know that ACT/SAT avg's for my class are in there. It is true that Carleton may disregard these statistics.

To everyone who posted - thanks so much :) Honestly, I have obviously been here for a while, and this is just about how I assessed myself. It's nice to have confirmation that Carleton is reachy but not impossible :).

As for my essays, I don't really remember how they were. I remember that I wrote them way back in October, and that I liked them at the time......
    Oh, okay. How did you get to write your own school's profile? I'm just curious, since I'd always thought that only the school itself could submit it.

Good luck! If luck is on our side, we might even be classmates next year.
    I work for my school's GC.....

It's an awesome job :)
    that does sound like a sweet deal

Good luck!
  • IceExIceEx Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Cute... You will probably get in here. Congratulations. With an application like your's at a school like Carleton evaluation whether or not you will get in on a board like this is akin to haruspicy. It honestly does help if you give us more information, rather than some asinine comment about being green. ECs are very important the more I know about them the more accurate answer I can give you.
This discussion has been closed.