Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
828195828195 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
edited April 2010 in Carleton College
what's the dating scene like?
Post edited by 828195 on

Replies to: dating

• mflevitymflevity Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    Hahahaha...
  • HindooHindoo Registered User Posts: 5,849 Senior Member
    What mflevity says--that's pretty much how my junior Carl daughter feels. :)
  • 828195828195 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    hahah i take that as "nonexistent"?
  • sky102118sky102118 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    well, according to the students I talked to during my accepted students days, something like 60% of Carleton grads marry other Carls.
    So I don't know what it says about the dating scene, but it says something!
  • LACalumLACalum Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    A popular statistic (the 60% marriage one) but it's completely untrue. I used that one on many tours as a student only to later learn that it was a popular myth that got passed along. My sense is that this is a common feature of college tours (they are a little like the game "telephone"), some tour guide misunderstands a statistic and then uses it endlessly, they train a new tour guide who learns the same false statistic and then it takes off. I sometimes wonder how many things I said on my tours that I was certain were true and that in reality may have been based only on hearsay.
  • dadx3dadx3 Registered User Posts: 1,559 Senior Member
    In general, the primary modes of relationships at most colleges seem to be either serial monagamy or random hook-ups. There is not so much traditional dating. I'm not an expert on Carleton, but I imagine that it is little different from other colleges in this regard.
  • mflevitymflevity Registered User Posts: 1,201 Senior Member
    Yeah, the 60% thing is NOT true. Sure, plenty of Carls marry their classmates, but the same thing happens at all colleges.

I just found the phrase "dating scene" hilarious, especially because it was in reference to Carleton.
  • griffengriffen Registered User Posts: 1,033 Senior Member
    It's funny how trends show up in LACs. I'm planning to apply to both Carleton and Grinnell in fall and I just got a mailing from Grinnell that says "during speeches and words of wisdom, the new Grinnellians learn one especially noteworth statistic: 60 percent of Grinnellians marry other Grinnellians." There's probably some truth underlying this stuff, but I think it's an odd coincidence that both schools throw out the same number. don't you?
  • binglebingle Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    60% is clearly too high, but here's what I've found:
    In 1949 a Carletonian article estimated that 12% of Carleton alums married other Carleton alums, and that a 1964 survey indicated that 17% of the alumni at that time were married to other alums.

In the early 90's, an alum/staffer posted the following to an alum discussion board:
    The last time I counted, it was close to 20%. This is based on the following procedure. You create a list of alumni from the Advance database. Next you combine households, so that they only get one mailing. This reduces the list by about 10%. That means that 10% of the people are married to another 10% of the people.

Now that process would erroneously include folks living together, but not married. At the same time, it would not count those who divorced or where a spouse was deceased.

For 1978, there are 12% currently married to Carls.

One thing I've found curious is the number of Carl/Carl marriages that started after college. One couple from '80 started dating after their 10th reunion. I know several couples who did not know each other at school, but subsequently met through friends.
This discussion has been closed.