Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

CMU 2007 Auditions?

Replies to: CMU 2007 Auditions?

• kenmarksnjkenmarksnj Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    i'm doing pittsburgh on november 12th!!! ahhh so excited!
  • LocoMomLocoMom Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    I'm sure I read it somewhere that CMU is at the Unifieds In L.A., but they are not on the list for Feb,11th.

Also is it better to go to the school to audition if Dance is you strongest talent?
  • kenmarksnjkenmarksnj Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    i don't personally think so... the schools evaluate dance at the regional auditions as well.
  • CMUJohannaCMUJohanna Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    The dance combination at the regional auditions is the same combination they teach at the auditions on campus. And there is also a faculty member from the dance program, most likely Judy Conte, at all regional auditions. So, it really doesn't make a difference, although I would suggest visiting the campus (if at all possible) so you can see the facilites, sit in on classes, meet current students, etc. Good luck!!
    Thanks Johanna, we will try and visit. Do you know if there is an L.A. Regional?
  • CMUJohannaCMUJohanna Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    I graduated last spring, so I don't know about the audition sites for this year, but when I was in school, I know they went to LA. I'm sure its listed on the CMU Drama site, www.cmu.edu/cfa/drama. Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Thanks again...She's registered Feb.12th at 1pm..L.A. Wow exciting. We will try and see the school at another time . Maybe a show too.
  • tashmutashmu Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    My dd is registered for her CMU auditon in NY 2/2. She is planning to go on and audition at the unifieds the same weekend.
    Good luck to all and fracture your choice of leg bones{:-)!
  • typecastme22typecastme22 Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    How quickly do you think the audition dates will fill up?
    No way to tell
  • typecastme22typecastme22 Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    If I wait a week or two do you think I should be fine?
  • showbizkidzshowbizkidz Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    My d is a Soph MT at CMU. She auditioned for them at Unifieds and the audition was approx. 4 hours. Unlike many of the schools that she auditioned for, they brought 6 faculty members---it was quite impressive!! The head of the Acting program made some opening remarks along with other staff members. The auditions took place in four large adjoining conference-type rooms---one for Acting, one for Dance, one for Vocals and the main room for applicants and parents- it was quite the operation. As they completed each audition, the teacher wrote comments on what looked like a large manila envelope - and this went back to the person in the "main room." This envelope followed the applicant from room to room (only the teachers handled the "envelope"- it was obvious to me that they definitely wanted "buy-in" from dance, acting and vocals---thus, the "rotating" envelope.) They took polaroids of all the applicants (none of the other schools did this) and even tho it was a lengthy process--it ran very smoothly!
    They were very open about their selectivity--- sharing with us how many they would be accepting in Acting and MT that year---but they said it in a very positive and supportive way. They were so welcoming--out of all of her auditions at Unifieds- I was most impressed with them.
    All in all, the audition experience was a positive one and the "actual school"
    experience has been even better!!!
  • MTMamaMTMama Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    In which city did you do the CMU Unifieds? It does sound like an intense experience. Did your D also do other auditions that day?
  • EricsmomEricsmom Registered User Posts: 1,224 Senior Member
    Hi, MTMama, Last year in Chicago for CMU, there was either a morning or an afternoon assignment, and they told you to hold 4 hours for that audition. It is a block of time that's maybe either 9 to 1 or 1 to 5 (that block may have been 1:30 - 5:30, I don't remember, as my son had the morning shift). During the block of time, I wouldn't think it is wise to schedule another school. You could do another school in the other part of that day. I think they had an info session first, followed by dance, followed by the kids doing individual auditions for acting and voice in different rooms at different times. I remember some sitting around waiting.
  • cmujohanna's momcmujohanna's mom Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    MTMama:
    My d auditioned at the Chicago Unifieds and it was intense. She had blocked out the entire Monday morning for CMU (beginning at 9:00 a.m.), but it ran long. She knew she had a problem when her CCM audition was scheduled to begin at 1:00, but she hadn't yet done the dance portion of the CMU audition. The CMU faculty was very gracious and told her to go to the CCM audition. Judy Conte (dance professor in attendance) told her she could complete the CMU dance audition at any session during the next two days.

My d did 9 auditions (three per day) at Unifieds, and like Showbizkidz, I was most impressed with the organizational process, faculty members in attendance, and genuine caring shown at the CMU audition.
This discussion has been closed.