Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Carnegie mellon Financial Aid

cortana431cortana431 - Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
Does Carnegie Mellon generally offer good financial aid?
Post edited by cortana431 on

Replies to: Carnegie mellon Financial Aid

• mom2012and14mom2012and14 - Posts: 888 Member
    What does "good" mean exactly?

Several threads on this last few years here...make what you want of them.

CMU is very open- they do NOT promise to meet unmet need. They throw their money where they want-- to create a balanced and interesting class of diverse future leaders in their fields.

See their webpage - very transparent.

Do an "early estimate" option-- nearly everyone here will tell you CMU came right in on target with the early estimate. That webpage will be up in September- maybe sooner.
  • physicsdude1992physicsdude1992 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    Lol mom2012and2014 you probably have that memorized by now
  • mom2012and14mom2012and14 - Posts: 888 Member
    But I really mean it-- I applaud CMU's transparency in the process and that the early estimate program gives you a feel of what they honestly think of you as a candidate. No loans and no work study-- all grants-- they want you.
  • mumof2boyzmumof2boyz Registered User Posts: 711 Member
    One thing I was really impressed with is that they really do take a look at requests for reconsideration. We sent in three other offers and CMU met the lowest one in a matter of weeks, which was much higher than their initial offer. I do think they try really hard at CMU to be fair.
This discussion has been closed.