Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Playing college football at a prestigious university

Brandon's momBrandon's mom Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
edited December 2006 in Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon's head football coach has contacted us at home a few times - seems they're interested in recruiting Brandon for their football team next year. I believe he's also talked to Brandon's high school coaches.

n the past, Brandon had not expressed any reciprocal interest in CMU. Indeed, he flat-out said "No" just a couple of weeks ago when we asked him point-blank if he would want to attend Carnegie Mellon or play college football.

But . . . last night, a CMU football player called Brandon at home, and they spoke for about 10 minutes. He told the guy that he was "mildly interested" in going to CMU and playing football.

Brandon never minces words and has very little tact; if he had NO interest, he would have told the guy exactly that.

And if he wasn't, he would have NEVER told US he was "mildly interested." He probably wouldn't have even told us who had called! Appears he was a little flattered by the attention - who wouldn't be?

I think it is safe to assume that getting that call made him think more favorably about CMU and football.

I've emailed CMU's head coach today to:
1. tell him to congratulate whoever thought of having a current football player call Brandon
2. tell him a little bit about Brandon's high school and athletic achievements
3. let him know that Brandon will be playing in our county high school All-Star football game next Wednesday, and if there is a current or former CMU football player living in our area, perhaps he might want to ask that person to come talk to Brandon after the game.

I didn't think to ask about athletic scholarships at CMU. I looked on their web site and this link was all I could find:

"If you are interested in being recruited for Carnegie Mellon varsity sports, please click on the sport on the right navigation and fill out the form."

I know literally nothing about the college athletic recruiting process. Does an athletic scholarship generally mean tuition is paid? or housing? or both? Or a small stipend?

Carnegie is such a prestigious school & has such a great reputation for business & engineering, it would be great if Brandon had the opportunity to attend, even if he intends to pursue pre-med.

Does anyone out there know anything about CMU's pre-med reputation?

I know it's a little late in the game to be seriously thinking about another prestigious school. Brandon has already applied to Notre Dame and Unviersity of Florida, and is working on apps to Duke, Vanderbilt, Harvard, and Stanford.

Thanks so much in advance for any help on this!
Post edited by Brandon's mom on

Replies to: Playing college football at a prestigious university

This discussion has been closed.