Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

RD notification

Replies to: RD notification

• BluePoodleBluePoodle Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    Thanks @2018dad,

Applied - 18,418
    Admitted - 7,713
    Enrolled - 1,252
    Offer Wait list - 6,651
    Accepted WL Placement - 3,004
    Admitted from Wait list - 480

Rejected - 4,054
  • LanaHereLanaHere Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    Newswise — Cleveland—Case Western Reserve University continued its surge in undergraduate applications this year, as more than 21,600 students applied for admission to the Class of 2018. The total represents an 18 percent increase over last year—and a leap of nearly 200 percent since President Barbara R. Snyder arrived in 2007.
  • 2018dad2018dad Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    ^^
    Using those numbers and %yield/#enrollees as last year. the anticipated acceptance rate is about 36% for this year.
    Post edited by 2018dad on
  • Daddio3Daddio3 Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    Amazing what happens when your application is free and you have no essay :-)
    edited March 2014
    There was a supplement essay. You submit it with your CWRU online application via Common Application, but it's a separate essay just for CWRU.

That essay said do not exceed 1000 words in length.

It's not the one the same one that you send to all your schools when you submit your Common Application. Why do you guys keep saying that there wasn't? lol
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Forum Champion Math/Computer Science, Forum Champion Richmond Posts: 3,841 Forum Champion
    edited March 2014
    @LanaHere no there wasn't. Case has no supplemental essay, just the common app essay. I don't know why you think there was....
    Perhaps you are confused with a different school or possibly a scholarship app? I believe PPSP may have a supplemental essay
    @guineagirl96 I think you are right. My D applied to PPSP but then changed her mind, so the supplemental essay question appeared in that section.
  • Sdgal2Sdgal2 Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    @daddio3 but why the continued rise- 300% since 2007- since it's always been that way... no fee, no supplement?
  • 2018dad2018dad Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    And acceptance rate is going down:
    2012: 50%
    2013: 41%
    2014: about 36%
  • BluePoodleBluePoodle Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    @daddio3, I assume you applied (or your son/daughter) NOT just because the app was free but because of the FA and generous merit aid that CASE is known for.

As others have mentioned to you before but you fail to consider; CASE's app has ALWAYS been free. The difference is the common app has made college applications to multiple universities much easier to do and all colleges receive a spike increase by using the CA. GA Tech will be a good example of this for this year and the fee is only one factor in the equation. No one want to attend a college that has a poor reputation with it's students, CASE has a 92% student retention for returning students. I fail to see how fee vs. free matters. Don't apply to a college JUST because the app is free and DON'T fail to apply to a good match college just because you have to pay!

This is from the GA Tech website as to why they are switching to the common app:

"One of our big goals is to continue to diversify campus from a geographic, academic and socioeconomic standpoint,” said Rick Clark, director of undergraduate admission. “In order to do that, we have to continue to diversify the applicant pool.”

The standardized Common App gives students access to more colleges by simplifying the process for them to apply. Rather than filling out a different application for each university, applicants can fill out one application and submit it to multiple member schools at once.

“These are kids who are already applying to schools similar to Tech and should be applying here too,” Clark said. Admission staff will talk with counselors, prospective students and parents this summer to provide more information about the new application process and deadlines.

“We’re already hearing excitement from high school counselors who have been telling kids to apply here and know this will make it easier for them to do so, ” Clark said. The Common App also includes a counselor recommendation, giving admission staff valuable information about prospective students and their high schools and curriculum.

Other universities that have switched to the Common App have seen as high as a 20 percent increase in applications the first year. Clark’s team is preparing for what will be a year of challenges and change, knowing that the growing pains are signs of positive change for Tech. They are interested to see how the new applicant pool yields in comparison to past years.

“This step will bolster our efforts to enroll the best students nationally and internationally as we seek to meet the Institute’s vision of defining the technological research university of the 21st century,” Clark said."

• ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    Read this, CWRU has committed to offering admission to underrepresented minorities
    http://cwru-daily.com/news/applications-to-the-class-of-2018-top-21600-growing-300-percent-since-2007/
    edited March 2014
    That is fine, but their common data set does not show Racial/Ethnic Status even in the Important category. It is "Considered". They should change their Common Data Set. But that is irrelevent as I never brought up URMs in my argument -- I support what they are doing with regard to URMs.

I am just saying they waitlisted a bunch of really strong kids who they solicited with emails about free apps and high merit aid to cherry pick the ones they wanted most, but protect yield on the rest of them. It is a good school with good students, but what admissions did was pretty "slimey", and I stand by my opinion.

Oh, and I will (sheepishly) admit that my kid DID apply because the app was free (against my better judgement) and he wanted to see how much merit he could get. So in a warped sense, Case got his app right :-) Anyway, he has three admits better for him than Case with 5 still outstanding, so I am MOVING ON. Good luck all, especially you strong wait-listed kids who really wanted to attend Case. Let them know and they may just be happy to have you!
  • Sdgal2Sdgal2 Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    @daddio3 -Ahhh, thanks for 'fessing up! When you said your son "wasn't going anyways" I think you honestly put forth what many of the high stat waitlisted kids (parents) won't admit. And most of the more bitter people seem to be the parents- the kids have probably moved on long ago... Good luck to your son!
    @Sdgal2, I knew you folks would enjoy my confession :-) But there were other folks who really did want to attend who I believe got waitlisted for having high stats but not earning the highest merit awards.

I think the change was all the advertising they did this year, and the fact that everyone is applying to more schools so every school gets more applicants together explain the increase. My son got an email inviting him to apply for free (not knowing that anyone could apply for free) Also, I think those full rides and other big merit scholarships Case gives are getting the attention of applicants. That is all the more reason for them to be careful not to automatically waitlist those that don't get in -- they should trust themselves to be competitive. Then again, for the cost of sending test scores, you can take a shot at $30k+ a year merit, so why not!
  • Jkm05478Jkm05478 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    We applied to 13 schools, in a very very competitive field (nursing) for seats. According to the Association of American Colleges of Nursing:

"U.S. nursing schools turned away 79,659 qualified applicants from baccalaureate and graduate nursing programs in 2012 due to an insufficient number of faculty, clinical sites, classroom space, clinical preceptors, and budget constraints. Almost two-thirds of the nursing schools responding to the survey pointed to faculty shortages as a reason for not accepting all qualified applicants into entry-level baccalaureate programs."

This was the reason why we sent out so many applications, we were worried about the feeding frenzy to get a direct admitted spot. D was accepted EA to nearly all schools, and has gotten more acceptances since (deferred to admitted). This really surprised us as she is a good student (lots of AP classes) but isn't a 2000+ SAT student (about 1800 super score). Her essay was very good in my mind, keeping high grades and pursuing a rigorous academic schedule while in sports, and pursing conferences in that field during the summer months, was key in my mind to her being accepted by so many schools. Its not just based on SAT scores (although very important), I firmly believe they are looking for well rounded students that can add to the school. I heard it once described by a Dean, that its like building a puzzle, many pieces coming together to build a complete picture, each being different from the other. You don't want all pieces cut to the same shape and being the same color. The merit scholarship was key for us, only one other school came close to Case (within $1K). We are grateful for having so many choices to pick from, we did not expect that. I think D final choice will be Case, after weighing and comparing Pros & Cons of all the schools.
This discussion has been closed.