Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to "Show Interest" in CWRU

Replies to: How to "Show Interest" in CWRU

• SuperAzn69SuperAzn69 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Well, state schools provide programs that offer a smaller community based approach to education.
  • gandalf78gandalf78 Registered User Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    ^ Some of them do, some don't. Sweeping generalizations about what all public universities offer (or not) is not really warranted.
  • VMTVMT Registered User Posts: 1,163 Senior Member
    My daughter applied Early Action a few years ago and was accepted. She was never able to visit before applying as it is far, but she spoke to a friend of ours who is an alumnus, and also had an interview. She received her acceptance on the day they promised. It came with a nice merit award in spite of not being able to visit before applying. Her merit award was part of the acceptance letter. It’s a great school. Good luck to you!
  • SuperAzn69SuperAzn69 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Here's a bunch of schools that do have them:
    University of Michigan with its Learning Communities( grouped by specific interests, major, and goals) and LSA Honors Program
    https://lsa.umich.edu/mlc
    Ohio State University Learning Communities and Honors College
    https://housing.osu.edu/learning-communities/
    Michigan State University's Residential Colleges (Lyman Briggs, James Madison, and Residential College in Arts and Humanities) and Honors College
    http://www.residentialcolleges.msu.edu
    Purdue University Learning Community
    http://www.purdue.edu/learningcommunities/frequently_asked_que.html#which
    University of Illinois Living-Learning Communities
    http://www.housing.illinois.edu/Living-Options/Living-Learning-Communities/Health-Professions

--So it is definitely possible to make "small" out of a big state school. A few of my friends are at Lyman Briggs and James Madison at Michigan State and have said that their programs allow them to feel less overwhelmed at a big school and have a small, close group of supportive peers. I think students "chicken out" from applying to state universities because of the sheer total enrollment size. They should do research on those programs.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,972 Forum Champion
    On the other hand you could say that big universities are trying to replicate what small universities already have. I agree that students should examine many options when college hunting.
  • guy1234guy1234 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    Just wanted to add that this is becoming very, very important for CWRU. As Case is trying to break into the top 30 in USNEWS, its trying to decrease yield and giving greater attention to demonstrated interest is typically how colleges accomplish this. Even if you are not statistically a match for Case, demonstrate interest and I can personally guarantee that that will kick you up several notches. Frankly, I cannot emphasize enough how important demonstrated interest is here.
  • Hamilton147Hamilton147 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @bopper I am an international student, and I requested an alumni interview request like a month ago. However, school has not replied me back. I have emailed to Case Western Reserve University and they have not replied me back. I asked my country's alumnus at Case and he said that he already interviewed at this time last year, so did the other admitted candidates. So does that mean that I am deferred?
    Whether you have an interview enough has no correlation to admittance. It has to do with are there enough volunteers and have you been assigned to one of them. Have you contacted the admissions counselor at your region to ask what has happened?

Alumni interviewers are volunteers. For example, I was just assigned some interviwees. One I interviewed, and the other I have not heard from. Then Thanksgiving weekend came (busy weekend for Americans). So I still have ones i have not interviewed.
  • Aurora23Aurora23 Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @bopper I am currently a sophomore and just signed up on their website to request information. In two years when I will be applying, when they are reviewing my app will it be indicated that I requested info? I’m just curious because I requested info two years in advance of applying..
    @Aurora23 I would think that it would be...I imagine that they keep info based on your email address.
    Don't request an interview until the end of your junior year though.
  • d00td00td00td00t Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hey bopper, I am applying either Regular or ED II, and I was wondering whether I should do an interview if I suck at them. I honestly think I might choke and the interview would decrease the chance I am admitted. However, I plan on demonstrating interest by visiting, and my brother is a 2015 graduate. Is legacy a big factor? Thanks
    If you are going to go out and visit, I would suggest doing an interview. They are not supposed to be confronational..but a chance for you to tell Case about yourself...esp the stuff that may not be in your app. And it is a way for you to learn more about Case.
    When I do alumni interviews, the first thing I say is to relax...because it isn't that colleges are trying to keep you out, they are looking for ways for you to get in. I know it feels more adversarial, but really its a way to fill in any gaps in your app.
    What I would suggest is to search this subforum for interview questions, and then have someone in real life that you know ask you these questions and you answer them out loud.

According to the Common Data Set, Alumna/i relation is "considered". https://case.edu/ir/sites/case.edu.ir/files/2018-09/CDS 2018-2019.pdf
  • d00td00td00td00t Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thanks!
  • STEMGirl19STEMGirl19 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Is there any truth to the theory that Case may reject very high score applicants because they aren't sure if their interest is sincere? Is this why demonstrated interest is so important? It makes sense, as I understand their desire to protect their yield and save their offers for serious students.
  • MomLA2018MomLA2018 Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    I don’t think Case does that. At our school, they have traditionally accepted several very high scoring applicants year after year even though most do not attend.