Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Christian colleges known for math?

rosietheriveterrosietheriveter Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited September 2012 in Christian Colleges
I'm relatively early on in the college search and looking for a Christian college known for its math program. Everyone tells me that academics and Christian schools don't go hand-in-hand, but I don't think this is the case!

I'm also on the scholarship hunt and hope to stay within a day's drive of where I live in Pennsylvania.

But math is at the crux of my search.
Post edited by rosietheriveter on

Replies to: Christian colleges known for math?

• sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 4,791 Senior Member
    If you want to stay close to home, I'd probably recommend Grove City College. They have a decent math department and they have some terrific professors. Academically, they are strong, I believe.

That was my son's #1 Christian college way back when, but it turns out he did too much college math during high school and one of the profs at Grove City suggested he look for a secular school, so my son will be attending MIT. I have mixed feelings about that but that's for another post. :-)

They don't offer much in the way of scholarships. Your best bet would be outside scholarships (National Merit, Coca-Cola, specialty scholarships, etc).
  • WillYartWillYart Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm an '02 alum of Grove City College; was a Math + Computer Science major. GCC offers an excellent education, and your peers are good as well (note avg. test scores), which allows the teaching to rise to a higher level of course.

The preparation I received there equipped me for all aspects of life, not just work. I developed spiritually and intellectually there. Classmates were supportive and although there is always the rowdy bunch social life was wholesome and faith affirming. Since then I've had a great career, now back at at school working on the Ph.D.!

There is not much to do in Grove City, which may be one reason students are so focused on their studies. I did commute to Pittsburgh for a while for an internship; I don't particularly recommend doing that in the winter, the interstate can be quite bad with the snow (but I've lived in Hawaii for a few years so I'm spoiled...)
  • marblingmarbling Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    Cedarville University in Ohio.
  • informativeinformative Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Villanova.
This discussion has been closed.