Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Palm Beach Atlantic

CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
edited October 2012 in Christian Colleges
Does anyone know about Palm Beach Atlantic more than what their website says? My youngest is now wanting to combine Botany - preferably tropical - with a Ministry/Bible degree. It's new territory for us as he previously just wanted Botany.

Any info on here or via pm would be appreciated. I know where they fit stats-wise. I'm more interested in what graduates do (esp Botany and/or Ministry), liberal/conservative/moderate thoughts about their Christian teaching and things like that.
Post edited by Creekland on

Replies to: Palm Beach Atlantic

• Rolando4Rolando4 Registered User Posts: 413 Member
    My sister went for a year. He will like it as long as he's religious. My sister is catholic and all, don't get me wrong, but it was too Christian for her. They had a lot of rules. For example, if your room wasn't clean they'd fine you...
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    ^^^ Interesting. Thanks for the info. I don't recall seeing their "rules" on their website... do you know if there is any online link to them that I can share with youngest?
  • mmmgirlmmmgirl Registered User Posts: 933 Member
    I'm not a regular at this forum (not applying to Christian colleges or anything) but I was looking around this forum and saw this post.

I live about 20 minutes away from PBAU but I don't know too much about, aside from the fact that it has an amazing location (right in downtown West Palm Beach, within walking distance of an awesome art museum, a performing arts center that regularly features Broadway plays and nationally known musicians, right next door to the nicest outdoor shopping center in the area and minutes from the beach). Also, I heard a rumor that any student can get up in the middle of class and start writing Bible quotes on the board, if they feel so inspired.
    Thanks for the info. That last part seems a little bit, um, "interesting."
  • informativeinformative Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Botany with a Ministry/Bible degree? What type of job or career is he looking to do with that major combination?
  • Whistle PigWhistle Pig - Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    biblical botanist or biology teacher-preacher! Obviously!
    Kiddo has grown up loving (and being naturally good at) flora and fauna of all sorts, and not just the typical "kid loves nature" sort of thing, but actual experiments and exploration with microscopes and the like. Right now, microbio and insects are his love actually, but he still is the "go to" person for info on plants and critters for many adults around him and has been for a few years now.

Then... he tells me he wants to study Biblical Studies and become some sort of minister...

I've ALWAYS said as long as my boys didn't become pimps or illegal drug dealers I'd support whatever they wanted and I still feel that way. In his case, I really hate to see him give up his "natural talent" for his spoken desire. I kind of think he will revert back to it once he hits upper level classes of each. Therefore, I'm the one insisting on both (at least at first). Otherwise, few colleges that seem good for our brand of Biblical Studies (to the point of becoming a minister) have much in the botany world and most with bio seem to focus on pre-med (NOT what he wants). If he ends up just going into ministry, he'll have still loved the college level classes on subjects he loves anyway.

As a parent, I could see this young man being good at anything from a park ranger (any non-city park) to a developing world ag consultant or possibly even a science teacher. If he wants to combine any of the above with being a youth pastor or some sort of ministry, it would work out to use both (albeit, not necessarily in the same job).

I just can't see where God would give him the extensive talent he has in one field, then not want him to actually use it in life. Maybe I'm wrong - who knows? Time will tell. But right now I need to do what seems right as a parent and see if he can combine the two. My house is full of various insects (species of spiders, preying mantises, monarchs, etc) and an ongoing algae experiment (maybe two), as well as slides of various small stuff. Outdoors there is even more going on.

I'm not super "up" on Christian colleges - esp those outside of our area - hence - the question. Until VERY recently, I had assumed he'd pick a college great in environmental or ecological areas and was searching out those. He liked the University of Hawaii at Manoa (due to tropical botany), Unity in ME (due to their hands on, etc), and possibly Juniata (ditto). His wanting Biblical Studies (from a pastor's point of view vs just the learning) has thrown an interesting twist into it all.

We're not Catholic, so that eliminates those options.

We have discussed getting a "regular" degree first, then heading elsewhere for the pastor part, but it doesn't interest him right now.

He's still a junior, so we have a year to look around and ask questions.
  • informativeinformative Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    "biblical botanist or biology teacher-preacher! Obviously!"

LOL, agreed.
    "biblical botanist or biology teacher-preacher! Obviously!"

LOL, agreed.

Thanks for being incredibly helpful. There's nothing like a put down (even after an explanation to what seemed to be an innocent question) simply because someone doesn't appear to fit the mold you think they should. It shows a lot about your character - though not at all why you'd be on a Christian forum - unless to **** and make fun of those you disagree with.

I suppose it takes all types...
  • mspearlmspearl Registered User Posts: 1,233 Senior Member
    I'm sorry but what is "super christian?" I am guessing you mean very conservative? Evangelical? Speak in tongues? More rules?

Is it kind of like being super pregnant?
  • whispeerrrrwhispeerrrr Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Hey, I don't know if you are still looking for information on this or not, but I know a couple people who went there. They seemed to like it a lot!

The main thing they said was that they loved the location. They said it was really beautiful.

Be aware it is super Christian (although that sounds like that'd be a good thing for you) and it is Florida-y. So if your son is into the Florida vibe (southeast coast people... I don't know how to describe it, but there is a certain culture) and super Christian, he'd probably be into it.
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 4,789 Senior Member
    Creekland,

Would it be better to start with a Christian college that is theologically aligned with your son's beliefs and then try to see if there's a major that's close to botany (some sort of biology major, maybe)?

I see Andrews Univ. claims to have botany as a major. That's a SDA (Seventh Day Adventist) school, but I'm not sure if that's where your son would be theologically comfortable.

What about schools like Grove City, Taylor Univ, Wheaton, or Biola? Maybe they have something in the area of biology?

Sorry, but I don't know anything your original school but if any other Christian colleges with botany as a major (or something similar) come across my wires, I'll post.

Just found Hardin-Simmons that has agronomy/crop science for a major. You might try looking for something in that direction (agriculture, etc) as well as botany.
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 4,789 Senior Member
    Oh, sorry, one more. What about College of the Ozarks? It has agronomy and horticultural science as majors. It's a very unique Christian college with a work study program that pays for fees. Not sure it's open to all income levels (caters to the less well off, I think), but may be worth looking into.
    Thanks for the thoughts! I don't think he'll have the SAT/ACT for Wheaton or Grove City. He's superb in Bio and has > 4.0 weighted GPA at school, but our school is pretty low, so top kids tend to end up with roughly 1800/28 scores. I'm anticipating him being there as he won't study for the tests. In Botany/Bio he could hold his own at any level, but not with math, etc.

Biola might be a place to look at. Perhaps Hardin-Simmons. (I hadn't heard of the latter.) He might actually like the College of the Ozarks. We'll look into those.

Christian-wise, we're non-denominational and fit in almost anywhere that isn't super Calvinistic (we aren't) nor legalistic. Oldest goes to a Calvinist school and enjoys it (even being a non-Calvinist), but that place has no Botany options. Most Bio programs are pre-med and this guy most certainly isn't.

I consider ourselves more conservative, but I suspect that many conservatives consider us somewhat liberal. On "views" tests we end up pretty moderate.

I think youngest would enjoy "super-Christian" as long as it's not Bob Jones "ish" or Pensacola Christian "ish." Culture-wise he definitely loves the water and the great outdoors. He was born in Florida and even though we moved north when he was 6 months old, I think some of it might be genetic. He's never been fond of the cold weather.
This discussion has been closed.